FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fuel leak- accumulator

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

With the clamp-on quick connects that came on Chris's combo unit (BTW, it had a bad check valve!), you trim the connectors off during installation...easy to connect a shut-off or plug the return (then use a short bump on the pump with power and check it).....poor-mans, but would work for a 10 min leak down test.

=========

It seems to me that you may be headed back to internal leaks...
    FWIW- Since it has started and idled, has it ever been dead cold (say over night) and the pump activated and let leak down w/o trying to start it a few times (while you worked on it or ??), and then you tried to start it right afterwords for the first time with it being hard to start, or no start? If so, was there a heavy fuel smell then, or other ANY time.

My VIN:    3713

No, there was no smell of fuel. When I go to start the car, I always click the key forward to hear the fuel pump- then I start it. Fires right off.

I will say this- the car starts normally about 80% of the time now compared to before the accumulator install. So I really have to try to find that window of time that it gives me problems. Somewhere after all the fuel bleeds down, but when it hasn't totally cooled off.

So out of the 12-15 times in the last day and a half, it did it to me once, and had a rough idle 2 or 3 times for a few secounds after start up.

Plus- it still bleeds off at that 10 mn mark.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-14 View Post
    When I go to start the car, I always click the key forward to hear the fuel pump- then I start it. Fires right off.
    I see.
    What I'm thinking is it may be leaking internally (injectors, CSV, and/or FD) such that when it is dead cold, it is not a problem because it likes the extra fuel (ie helps the CSV). Same if you shut it right off and try it again, until it warms up a bit. As you let it warm up, it may get harder to start, depending on hot hot and how long it sits after being shut off. Once it is "hot", it could be flooding a bit, maybe fouling a plug or three, some of which may clear up right away when it fires off... ie not a "De Lorean hot start" problem, or a combination.

Food for thought if all else fails and/or you are waiting on a gauge or ??:
    Since you said it runs a little rough, I'd check the above for leaks anyway since it has been sitting for so long, just GP... Maybe just cycle the switch the next time it is cold and let it set the 10 minutes several times back to back w/o starting it and see if you then smell fuel when starting, or, if you hear any cylinders pick up during the first few seconds or so.
    If new plugs, take a new look...
    Borrow/buy a gauge set
    Hang in there...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3