FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spring on the brake pad retaining pin?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    They told me to hang both springs from their eyelits through the top caliper pin. This, of course, will give you an asymmetrical pattern. (both springs facing in the same direction, instead of toward each other) Didn't make sense, but I did it.
    I am now considering tearing it apart, and doing it your way. Can it be that we are the only two people in the world that had questions about this!
    Is that a photo of your actual caliper?
    -Thanks
    Charlie
    Hi there,

Here is how I installed the front caliper springs. Don't know if it's right, but it works:
    image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4941

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

Here is how I installed the front caliper springs. Don't know if it's right, but it works:

image.jpg
    Thank You DMC-81. Your configuration is exactly the opposite of Jonathan's. They both look good....But your springs are facing outboard of the rotor....and his springs are facing inboard...
    Who knows which is right...

Here is Jonathan's photo...
    http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?at...6&d=1463754991
    Last edited by cpistocco; 05-28-2016 at 09:50 PM.

My VIN:    4941

Thank You DMC-81. Your configuration is exactly the opposite of Jonathan's. They both look good....But your springs are facing outboard of the rotor....and his springs are facing inboard...

DMC Houston told me to let both springs hang through their eyelits (each spring has an eyelit end and an open end) from the top caliper pin that retains the pads... for whatever that is worth....

Let me know when I have beaten this whole topic to death.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post

DMC Houston told me to let both springs hang through their eyelits (each spring has an eyelit end and an open end) from the top caliper pin that retains the pads... for whatever that is worth....

Let me know when I have beaten this whole topic to death.
    Hmm.. That's good to know. I'll try that way when I have my front wheels off again. I seem to recall trying that orientation, and not having enough clearance. Maybe when the pad are worn in a little it will work.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2