FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring on the brake pad retaining pin?

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Spring on the brake pad retaining pin?

Hi.

Is there supposed to be a spring inside the caliper, around each pin? My car had one, but they flew away, and I don't seem them listed on the DMCH parts diagram here:

http://store.delorean.com/c-355-6-2-0-rear-brakes.aspx

Should I try to track some down, or are they not needed?

--buddy

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Hi.

Is there supposed to be a spring inside the caliper, around each pin? My car had one, but they flew away, and I don't seem them listed on the DMCH parts diagram here:

http://store.delorean.com/c-355-6-2-0-rear-brakes.aspx

Should I try to track some down, or are they not needed?

--buddy
    Generally not on the rears, although is someone was trying to solve a "clicky" pad issue they might have added them. Fronts should have a clip-looking spring, but not all do.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Generally not on the rears, although is someone was trying to solve a "clicky" pad issue they might have added them. Fronts should have a clip-looking spring, but not all do.
    Thanks again, Dave. The support you give us owners is remarkable.

--buddy

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Some brake kits include springs you put on the pins between the pads to cure clicking and squeaking. They are not original on Deloreans. The other "spring" which is more like a clip goes in the ends of each the pins to keep the pins from falling out. Make sure you DO have the anti-squeal pad between each brake pad and piston and that they are oriented correctly. They should have arrows in them indicating the direction of the wheel. Make sure when you put the new pads in they can move a little. If they fit very tightly they will get stuck. If they can't move you need to clean the calipers or file the backing plate on the pads just enough so they can move just a little.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4941

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Some brake kits include springs you put on the pins between the pads to cure clicking and squeaking. They are not original on Deloreans. The other "spring" which is more like a clip goes in the ends of each the pins to keep the pins from falling out. Make sure you DO have the anti-squeal pad between each brake pad and piston and that they are oriented correctly. They should have arrows in them indicating the direction of the wheel. Make sure when you put the new pads in they can move a little. If they fit very tightly they will get stuck. If they can't move you need to clean the calipers or file the backing plate on the pads just enough so they can move just a little.
    David Teitelbaum
    Hello
    Does anyone have a photo/diagram of what the finished caliper (with shims, springs, pads, etc) should look like?
    Thanks
    Charlie

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    Hello
    Does anyone have a photo/diagram of what the finished caliper (with shims, springs, pads, etc) should look like?
    Thanks
    Charlie
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-Ticking/page2

Pictures and link to how-to file around the 15th post.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-Ticking/page2

Pictures and link to how-to file around the 15th post.
    Thank you Jonathan.
    The installation description that I received from DMC Houston was different from yours (although yours looks right to me). I would love to get to the bottom of this one.

Thank you Jonathan.
    The installation description that I received from DMC Houston was different from yours (although yours looks right to me). I would love to get to the bottom of this one.
    What description did they give you? I'm not familiar with their installation instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What description did they give you? I'm not familiar with their installation instructions.
    They told me to hang both springs from their eyelits through the top caliper pin. This, of course, will give you an asymmetrical pattern. (both springs facing in the same direction, instead of toward each other) Didn't make sense, but I did it.
    I am now considering tearing it apart, and doing it your way. Can it be that we are the only two people in the world that had questions about this!
    Is that a photo of your actual caliper?
    -Thanks
    Charlie

They told me to hang both springs from their eyelits through the top caliper pin. This, of course, will give you an asymmetrical pattern. (both springs facing in the same direction, instead of toward each other) Didn't make sense, but I did it.
    I am now considering tearing it apart, and doing it your way. Can it be that we are the only two people in the world that had questions about this!
    Is that a photo of your actual caliper?
    -Thanks
    Charlie
    Maybe you got the pairs mixed up? Are all four clips the same, or are there two different shapes? If they are all the same, then yes, it doesn't sound like it would be symmetrical from what you said. Although I can't really picture what you mean or what they meant you to do without seeing the instructions myself. Have you tried just asking Houston directly for clarification? That'd likely be the easiest thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast