FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Cluster Clear Plastic Lens

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    It's actually made from Makralon extruded polycarbonate.

James
    Translation: Very expensive plastic.
    1-800-273-8255

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Translation: Very expensive plastic.
    Yes, very expensive indeed: http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item...4785&catid=704
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Yeah - A 24" by 24" sheet of 1/8" costs a whopping $20. You can probably get 2 out of that so we're in 10 bucks for materials. That leaves $140 bucks for forming. See...

All kidding aside - If I was in need of course I would send my $150 to Houston.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Uh-Huh! Huh! Flourescent Rods
    Flourescent rods.JPG

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    2607

My lens are totally unusable. They seem to caught some kind of fire/heat by the PO so it´s totally clouded with a fog like screen. I´ve tried every posted solution without success, I even took it to a professional to polish it. my only option is to get a new one, but houston seems to be out of stock.

Does anyone know who´s making them?

My VIN:    4095 Still going w 200k plus miles. 4815 Back on the road again.

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

We used a headlight restorer kit

I think it was a Turtle wax product. At any rate, the lens had white spots from some spray. We first wet sanded it with 1000 grit same paper then polished it. The Meguiars PlastX should work too.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysony View Post
    My lens are totally unusable. They seem to caught some kind of fire/heat by the PO so it´s totally clouded with a fog like screen. I´ve tried every posted solution without success, I even took it to a professional to polish it. my only option is to get a new one, but houston seems to be out of stock.

Does anyone know who´s making them?
    Not unusable at all. Mine was really bad too, so I pulled it out and gave it to a friend with access to a vacuform machine. It tales a piece of thinner plastic, as is used in packaging etc, heats it up and then lowers it down over a mold. A vacuum table then pulls the hot plastic tight onto the mold.

My friend used the original lens as the mold (the original remained undamaged after this) and pulled a new lens for me in a couple of minutes. I had to trim the plastic to size and drill the holes for the mounting screws. I've kept quiet about it because its thinner than stock and I didn't know if it would hold up. So far it has - beautifully. Nobody would guess its thinner than stock - maybe a concours judge would pick it out, but maybe not.

After more than a year, including perhaps 30 days parked in the hot sun at work - I can affirm that its a cheap date that works well. If you decide to go this route, go ahead and have a few extras made - if it does crack or warp after a few years, pop a new one in.

Discuss with whoever you find to do the work the thickness of the plastic - as thick as reasonable, but still thin enough to pick up the contours of the mounting tabs and holes. It would also be a cheap way of experimenting with a tinted or smoke lens - with bright LEDs backlighting it.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I got one from PJ Grady a few years back when he sold me a new binnacle. Maybe he still has some?
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    2607

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Not unusable at all. Mine was really bad too, so I pulled it out and gave it to a friend with access to a vacuform machine. It tales a piece of thinner plastic, as is used in packaging etc, heats it up and then lowers it down over a mold. A vacuum table then pulls the hot plastic tight onto the mold.

My friend used the original lens as the mold (the original remained undamaged after this) and pulled a new lens for me in a couple of minutes. I had to trim the plastic to size and drill the holes for the mounting screws. I've kept quiet about it because its thinner than stock and I didn't know if it would hold up. So far it has - beautifully. Nobody would guess its thinner than stock - maybe a concours judge would pick it out, but maybe not.

After more than a year, including perhaps 30 days parked in the hot sun at work - I can affirm that its a cheap date that works well. If you decide to go this route, go ahead and have a few extras made - if it does crack or warp after a few years, pop a new one in.

Discuss with whoever you find to do the work the thickness of the plastic - as thick as reasonable, but still thin enough to pick up the contours of the mounting tabs and holes. It would also be a cheap way of experimenting with a tinted or smoke lens - with bright LEDs backlighting it.
    Thank you for all the info Ttait. Great advice. I´ll try to do that and update with the results. Best regards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast