FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Super bright LEDs

My VIN:    03572

I added the two resistors on one of the new Super Bright LEDs and ran it on my test bench. Does not work because my PWM frequency is running a 4 KHz and that switching constant current driver Super Bright is using needs 500 Hz or slower frequency. Adding the resistors would take a lot of skill since you need to solder to that micro pitch surface mount IC. If Super Bright ever incorporates that change, I can change the software in new dome units to run at 500 Hz.

I tried another new Super Bright LED with the 4.7 uf cap removed and it still did not dim correctly. I then removed the second surface mount capacitor and it dims pretty good but not as smooth as a normal LED works. Again that is because I'm running my PWM frequency too high for that component.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03572

Don't use the new LEDs

I did a lot of testing and you can not use those new LEDs with the switching mode constant current circuit. Those are any of the ones with those two black cylinders on the back of board.

I can not detect when those lights are drawing power with my current dome light unit. It's the way I'm testing for power draw by turning the circuit off very quickly so the eye does not see any flashing. If I were to design a new dome unit, I would detect the power differently but even doing that, you could not PWM the dome lights with the new LEDs.

If you try to use them, the unit will not keep powered if only one of those LEDs is turned on.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2