FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DPI Engine Performance Stats: DYNO Results by the numbers

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

DPI Engine Performance Stats: DYNO Results by the numbers

As promised we will be working through the task of representing every Delorean related performance figure available from stock configurations to our best offerings and the offerings of others. To insure clear results across the board I have opted to use the same dyno for all tests with the same correction figures etc. Unfortunately like any form of measurement correction can be added to inflate figures. In an effort to avoid this I have set a baseline with a stock car with the same base settings applied that will be used on all tests remaining. To increase accuracy we ran three different five speed stock Deloreans to confirm this as a reasonable figure.

Why is the power curve blotchy? Why does peak power fall off at 4200? The answer: the inefficient fuel and spark systems employed on a stock car. NOTE: I manually controlled AR on the second run holding as close to 14.7 as possible. The first run hit close to 18:1 air fuel..... Just playing with a messy adjustment with my hand on the metering plate brought almost 6hp out of a stock configuration. I have successfully worked out an additional 19hp with efi but on another dyno. This car will be run again on this dyno configuration to confirm the gain. ( I hate mustang dyno's anyways) Next run posted will be a stock automatic's power output.
    Attached Images
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Josh, can you elaborate on the dyno (brand/type) used?
    How does the owner control that device's proper calibration?

If you have figures, please share them as we can do this over here (Europe) too.
    That may give an extra set of reference material.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Josh, can you elaborate on the dyno (brand/type) used?
    How does the owner control that device's proper calibration?

If you have figures, please share them as we can do this over here (Europe) too.
    That may give an extra set of reference material.
    We are performing all tests on a dyno dynamics unit. http://www.dyno.com.au/index.php/dyn...ynotech2wddyno

What people do not understand is that inputs are calibrated and then translated into another form of data. Moving these numbers around results in different figures. (higher lower etc) I will post the running parameters when I am over there later today. This way everything our data is based off of will remain the same for all tests.

Thanks to our new arrangement we have 24 hour 7 day a week access to this set up.
    Attached Images

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Really looking forward to seeing the dyno figures for the Spec II EFI set-up, as well as for the new NA project you've discussed with me.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's no surprise the dyno figures are so bad. The motor was designed for longevity for warranty purposes and to pass the EPA regs. The mechanical fuel injection is just not as tuneable as what you can get today for engine management. Add to that the gearing in the transmission was never optimized for the Delorean and there is a lot of room for performance improvement. As much as the car was hyped as a "sports car" it is not really and was never meant to be a high performance car. Because of the low air coefficient and the superb suspension Lotus designed there is a lot of potential if you want to spend big bucks. At least with this testing you will be able to make some informed decisions as to where to get the best bang for the buck.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Thanks to our new arrangement we have 24 hour 7 day a week access to this set up.
    What is that?

I don't see the rear tires, just part of it.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    What is that?

I don't see the rear tires, just part of it.

LEVY
    That is a chassis dyno. The err wheels are on the rollers.

My VIN:    05287

Great to see someone getting the base lines done... I plan on running mine on the (chassis) dyno I have access to as well. Then after I put that Island Twin Turbo on I got from Josh!
    I'll try and video it so if the internals decide to scatter we can all laugh while I cry, haha.

I believe that the chassis dyno's are most accurate. Most mustang / hub dynos I have compared with have seemingly been inflated numbers. ( also depends on calibration etc) anyways we will see...

Ran two more cars this morning. Yes the numbers are scary but extremely accurate. With that said enjoy! For those wanting to be technical on this data:
    -tests on the two cars were performed at operating temp
    -both cars were tested today on the same eddy current dyno. This is not an inertia dyno that gives inflated numbers due to run over. What you see is what it is. Our engine package use to produce more power as well but we have been proven wrong through extensive testing unfortunately. The first post in this thread shows a bone stock Delorean's figures. The lesson to be learned. Just like in the GM/Ford market place. WHP numbers are directly related to how you read them. You will have cheaper results on inefficient dynometers. We use to see anywhere between 137-144 whp before but this was thanks to an inertia system instead of eddy current.

-This test shows the top runs.
    Max 110.3 on a Houston Stage II platform (camshafts, exhaust, head porting, and nology wires)
    Max 111.9 HP DPI SPEC II platform (camshafts and exhaust)

With this being an automatic we will allow for a 15% drive train loss putting the BHP at:
    Stage II 126.85bhp
    SPEC II 128.69bhp

Hardly anything to be happy with. This just goes to show throwing cams and a exhaust system at an engine without the proper analysis isn't worth the money spent. Yes the power band is less restrictive and feels more free flowing but that is it.
    I welcome anyone interested with a SPEC II or Stage II engine to stop by. We will run your car at my expense to show you this in person.

My goal here is simple. I'm redefining what the communities standard of performance for dollar spent is. In the end I will make all currently available engine packages obsolete through our new engine program. This includes anything sold in the past.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast