FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: HELP! Broke off Bolt that holds Negative Battery cable

  1. #1
    Senior Member 1batt4u's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Queens, NY

    Posts:    1,293

    My VIN:    2964

    HELP! Broke off Bolt that holds Negative Battery cable

    Hi all,

    I broke off the bolt that holds the stock negative cable on the frame. Been fighting for days now, wasting around 2-3 hours with no results each time!

    There is a jam nut behind it. I was told some cars had them some didn't.

    I tried removing the bolt behind the jam nut, but no room to come out.

    I really need help with this!! How in the world do I remove the broken bolt???? Rear of car is on ramps.

    Any ideas???
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

    "Trying to Live the Dream!"

    "If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

    http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

  2. #2
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,585

    My VIN:    06960

    So you wrenched on the bolt without removing the jamb nut, thus breaking off the head of the bolt?

    Now your trying to unscrew the jam nut, but the bolt shank is unthreading with it leaving no room for removal?

    Just trying to visualize and know what is moving and what is not.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

    D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1batt4u's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Queens, NY

    Posts:    1,293

    My VIN:    2964

    Yes, exactly!!

    I thought I was holding onto the jam nut when removing the bolt, but snapped out.

    What can I do?? No room at all to do anything.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

    "Trying to Live the Dream!"

    "If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

    http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,118

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    One option might be to abandon that bolt and find another place to attach the ground cable. If you can't get the piece of the bolt out you might be able to get a right angle drill with a stubby bit and drill it out. You can try sawing the jamb nut or chiseling it. Might not be worth the bother.
    David Teitelbaum

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1batt4u's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Queens, NY

    Posts:    1,293

    My VIN:    2964

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    One option might be to abandon that bolt and find another place to attach the ground cable. If you can't get the piece of the bolt out you might be able to get a right angle drill with a stubby bit and drill it out. You can try sawing the jamb nut or chiseling it. Might not be worth the bother.
    David Teitelbaum
    Will it be safe to drive around with it like that?
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

    "Trying to Live the Dream!"

    "If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

    http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Will it be safe to drive around with it like that?
    Only if you don't mind your trailing arm falling off (that bolt holds the trailing arm bracket).

  7. #7
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,585

    My VIN:    06960

    Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Will it be safe to drive around with it like that?
    No! That is one of two bolts holding on your trailing arm bushings. With or without a battery ground, you need it.

    FYI, you dont "hold" jamb nuts when removing bolts. You need to loosen/remove them first.

    If the bolt shank is indeed turning freely right now, you have an option. Try to get as much pressure on it as possible to STOP it from turning in the frame, while trying to back out the jamb nut. If your successful at this you should be able to work the jamb nut off, then just unthread the bolt shank from the frame.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

    D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

  8. #8
    Senior Member 1batt4u's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Queens, NY

    Posts:    1,293

    My VIN:    2964

    Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    No! That is one of two bolts holding on your trailing arm bushings. With or without a battery ground, you need it.

    FYI, you dont "hold" jamb nuts when removing bolts. You need to loosen/remove them first.

    If the bolt shank is indeed turning freely right now, you have an option. Try to get as much pressure on it as possible to STOP it from turning in the frame, while trying to back out the jamb nut. If your successful at this you should be able to work the jamb nut off, then just unthread the bolt shank from the frame.
    I tried every size wrench on the jam nut, but didn't seem as if they were fitting, weird. So I used a vise grip, wish I knew I had to loosen it. What size wrench is for the jam nut? The nut behind the jam nut, I used a 14mm wrench if I remember correctly.

    So far I only turned the nut behind the jam nut, it turned all the way till it touched the frame and wont go any more, the bolt doesn't turn so far. I guess once I start turning the jam nut it will?

    The rear of car is on ramps, is it dangerous working under it with the broken bolt?
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

    "Trying to Live the Dream!"

    "If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

    http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

  9. #9
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,585

    My VIN:    06960

    Your confused with terms. The jamb nut is the nut all the way in the back. Then there is a welded nut which is welded and epoxied on the frame. Then there is the bolt.

    The welded nut is not to get wrenched on. The reason no wrenches fit are because of the epoxy coating.

    So now what your describing is the actual jamb nut is turning on the bolt shank, but the bolt shank isn't turning. That may make this problem more difficult to deal with.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

    D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

  10. #10
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,889

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Billy,
    If I'm following you correctly now, your best bet is to cut out the old and use a new bolt and LOCK nut, with backer.

    Can you post a pic to be sure everyone in on the same page?

    ==============


    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Only if you don't mind your trailing arm falling off (that bolt holds the trailing arm bracket).
    Now I know you are sharing your password!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •