FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! Broke off Bolt that holds Negative Battery cable

My VIN:    2565 0883 7134 (charcoal grey interior)

Not really dangerous. The trailing arm being unbolted will not really cause the frame to come crashing down. It is more for alignment. Do not "abandon" the bolt, no it is not safe. I had the exact same problem. I ended up getting a chisel and breaking off the bolt along with welded nut. Took me about 2 minutes to do. I have not reinstalled but I will just put a bolt with nut there in place of the welded nut.

EDIT: just to be clear, I meant it is not dangerous to work under the car with the broken bolt, but it is to drive without the bolt in place.
    Last edited by deloumis; 10-22-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clarify
    Loumis
    1981 Delorean 2565 gas flap hood, auto (soon to be 5 speed) black interior
    1981 Delorean 0883 gas flap hood, 5 speed (soon to be auto) black interior
    1993 Lincoln town car: custom interior, custom Lexani wheels, custom sound system, lambo doors, shaved doors
    1999 Kawasaki zx9r: Drag bike, 9.2 quarter mile

That is not an option!

Do whatever it takes to remove and replace that bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    One option might be to abandon that bolt and find another place to attach the ground cable. If you can't get the piece of the bolt out you might be able to get a right angle drill with a stubby bit and drill it out. You can try sawing the jamb nut or chiseling it. Might not be worth the bother.David Teitelbaum
    Remember, he is never wrong!

Let's wait for his excuse..........

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    2565 0883 7134 (charcoal grey interior)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Billy, can you post a pic to be sure everyone in on the same page?

==============
    I just went through the exact same problem a couple weeks ago. What first looked to be a difficult problem turned into a 5 minute chisel job. What I don't understand is why David T would give advice to abandon the bolt
    Loumis
    1981 Delorean 2565 gas flap hood, auto (soon to be 5 speed) black interior
    1981 Delorean 0883 gas flap hood, 5 speed (soon to be auto) black interior
    1993 Lincoln town car: custom interior, custom Lexani wheels, custom sound system, lambo doors, shaved doors
    1999 Kawasaki zx9r: Drag bike, 9.2 quarter mile

My VIN:    2964

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Your confused with terms. The jamb nut is the nut all the way in the back. Then there is a welded nut which is welded and epoxied on the frame. Then there is the bolt.

The welded nut is not to get wrenched on. The reason no wrenches fit are because of the epoxy coating.

So now what your describing is the actual jamb nut is turning on the bolt shank, but the bolt shank isn't turning. That may make this problem more difficult to deal with.
    Ok, that explains everything! So that nut is welded to the frame. So the jam nut is the one I moved back! Makes things easier for me, because it is more understandable to me. I'll figure something out!! If you have any ideas please let me know!

Thank you, I appreciate it!!

As far as working under it with rear wheel on ramp, it is dangerous, especially once I have the broken bolt removed?
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Ok, read everyone else's post onc eI was replying!!

Thank you guys, so it is not dangerous to work under it.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This is one case where you do hold the jam nut while you back the screw out as there is not room to get the nut all the way off.

1 - Loosen the jam nut about a turn.
    2- Hold the jam nut with a 13mm open end wrench
    3- Remove the bolt. About 1/2 way out the jam nut will fall off.

Assembly is the reverse, i.e. start the bolt until about 3 threads are through the weld nut. Then start the jam nut but do not tighten it. Tighten the bolt. Now tighten the jam nut against the weld nut.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    This is one case where you do hold the jam nut while you back the screw out as there is not room to get the nut all the way off.

1 - Loosen the jam nut about a turn.
    2- Hold the jam nut with a 13mm open end wrench
    3- Remove the bolt. About 1/2 way out the jam nut will fall off.

Assembly is the reverse, i.e. start the bolt until about 3 threads are through the weld nut. Then start the jam nut but do not tighten it. Tighten the bolt. Now tighten the jam nut against the weld nut.
    Dave, my bolt snapped, so I can not remove it. Trying to figure how to get it out

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Dave, my bolt snapped, so I can not remove it. Trying to figure how to get it out
    This is actually one place where an EZ out will work. If you can get it into the bolt from the outside, (right angle drill) get an ez out into it and then you can hold it to back the nut off.

NEVER use an EZ out where the bolt is actually stuck.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

My VIN:    6125

Are the threads of the bolt free to turn in the welded on frame nut? or is it siezed in there?

If the broken bolt is indeed stuck and unable to turn you'll want to try and loosen it before you cut the shaft shorter so you're able to remove the bolt between the two sections of frame

One trick is to thread on a second thin M8 nut on the end of the stuck bolt and turn it tight to lock it to the existing loose jamb nut. Then turn both nuts at the same time to free the stuck bolt from the frame.

Once the bolt shaft is free to turn you can remove the second (orange) nut you installed, then trim the end of the bolt shorter with a dremel. Once you cut the bolt short enough it will fit through the two sections of frame.

If you're unable to get a second nut on there and use it to free the stuck bolt then you'll have to try your luck with vice grips to break it loose. Then you can proceed with cutting the bolt shorter so it can be removed through the two frame sections.

If that bolt is really stuck in the frame you may end up having to drill it out or go with the easy out like Dave is suggesting There are 90 deg short profile drills (air powered or electric) that you can buy from harbor freight that should fit in there.

Good luck.
    VIN 6125: Now with 300% more banana in the tailpipe for headache-free cruising comfort.

Thanks for the info Mark!! I already had in mind to add a second nut and try that method. I've done it before couple times, works great. The whole confusion here was because I was mixed up. I thought the jam nut was the welded nut, and was fighting to remove the the welded nut. So gonna try that when I can.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast