FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct

My VIN:    3937

Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct

I thought I'd share this with everyone on the new and improved DMCTalk site. I originally saw it through our ODOC webpage. It might be in direct contrast to dealing with the "Stupid DeLorean Comment of the Day" behavior... but anyway, there are good intentions behind it. Just reminding us that no matter how many of those one-off guys ruin it for everyone, all of us are very privileged to own one of these cars. Many people will never get the chance. Reminds me of someone we all live without now, but he would have likely lived by these words if he had been given the chance.

Anyway, here it is:

EXOTIC CAR OWNERS CODE OF CONDUCT

RULE 1.
    My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

RULE 2.
    I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

RULE 3.
    Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

RULE 4.
    With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

RULE 5.
    Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

RULE 6.
    I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets .

(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz)

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I do not fully agree with all of it and some of it is BS in my opinion.. Keeping a smile on my face.. I seldom smile and if I do, it is generally very brief. Offering the car to others, charities and enthusiasts.. Last time I saw a D was in Accokeek, Maryland in 2000.. Been very unsuccessful in seeing one up close since then, but who knows what the near future holds (Not a BTTF joke/ reference!). I agree with proper care for and observation of safety of the car, yourself and the public, but the stuff that delves into being a smiling moron, is not for me and should not dictate over one's personality (Be yourself!).

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

RULE 1.
    My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

Uh, no. It will be dirty and ratty. I've never even "shown" it. I drive it. Not everybody's standards of cleanliness are the same anyway. I'm a grower, not a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    RULE 2.
    I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. ...
    I am that way anyway. If you've managed to piss off the nicest guy in the world, it really is your fault.

RULE 3.
    Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.
    I hate to be the old man (Get off my damn lawn!!) but kids misbehave now more than ever.

RULE 4.
    With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs.
    99% of the time, anyway. Sometimes the California stop happens.

I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events.
    Nice thought, but you should see the latest string of DMA emails over an on-again-off-again event. People over promise and under deliver.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

An interesting concept, but I bought my car to take to shows to RELAX, and don't really feel like I want to have guidelines... but, here's my take on it:

Anyway, here it is:

RULE 1.
    I just got off work, and my wife/gf/sig other is annoying the hell outa me by their constant bitching/nagging. I haven't washed my car, nor is it 100% detailed. It needs an oil change and I just broke a muffler bracket, so one side of my exhaust is hanging a little low. If I stay here, my wife/gf/sig other will cause me to go postal, and I may take it out on the dog. Screw it, im going to the car show.

RULE 2.
    I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.
    "if your f*cking kid doesn't get their ass out of my car, im going to shove your head under my tire and let my emergency brake accidentally go..."
    "no, you didn't have the 87 model...."
    "I don't give two shits if your Civic is faster..."
    = me not being polite.

RULE 3.
    I just spent 600 bucks on my seat covers. I know I dont have keys, wallet chain, or a small screwdriver I forgot to take out of my pocket after work near my ass when I sit down, so pardon me if I tell you to just lean in and take a picture. As far as your kids, see #2.
    If you're cool, and I deem you worthy, then I will allow you to sit in the car.

RULE 4.
    With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.
    Mmmmm... no, no, and no. I didn't buy a fast car to keep my turn signal on for miles and miles, or to let people pass by me just so i can be polite. You rev at me, I rev back, it's on. I will drive in defense of my unbeaten drag racing record, when I feel it is safe.

RULE 5.
    Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.
    I agree with this one.

RULE 6.
    I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets .
    As much as i enjoy charity events, I don't attend EVERY single one. At times, I don't have a smile on my face. If I have a sandwich in my hand and I'm slurping on a milkshake, chances are I don't want to answer your questions at that time.
    If im in a conversation with someone, I don't want you standing there for 10 minutes interjecting your comments into my conversation, as if you are a part of it, just so you can ask me a question. I have no problem being friendly to friendly people.
    You come off as an asshole to me, im going to be a bigger one...and probably kick you in the nuts.

(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz)

No offense to Joe Martz, but this is too happy-feely for me.

I go to shows to have a good time. If it's a local show that happens all the time, im not going to detail the car to the 10's all the time. It's a way to just let off steam.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I tend to give less time to the people who make jokes about my car and talk about nothing but BTTF. It is the ones who show a genuine interest in the car that I go out of my way to talk with and show the car to.

When they are really nice to me I show them the engine compartment, show them my carburetor, I tell them that K Jet sucks and is the reason that many of these cars are left to rot away instead of being driven.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    When they are really nice to me I show them the engine compartment, show them my carburetor, I tell them that K Jet sucks and is the reason that many of these cars are left to rot away instead of being driven.
    Oooo!! Them's fightin' words!

I was always very self-depreciating with my DeLoreans too, though. There is definitely a reality behind the stereotype that DeLoreans are unreliable. I never sugar coated that with people who spoke to me about the cars (while at the same time driving home that with some relatively straight forward fixes, the cars could be set up for daily use).

I was always pretty honest with people about JZD too. He had some amazing accomplishments during his career, but his ego ended up doing him in. Owning a DeLorean is all about moderation. Remembering the car & it's creator are fascinating, but not divine. Taking the time to enjoy your car, but not letting it run your life. Letting strangers paw over your car, but know when to stop when folks are being thoughtless. That's all the Exotic Car Owners Code Of Conduct itself is about: moderation.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Having read the "code of conduct" I have the urge to place a permanent sign on the dashboard of my car which says "Work In Progress -- Do Not Judge."

Come to think of it, that would be an appropriate tattoo...

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    04915

This whole thread needs an assortment of smilies ...
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

A couple of things. I like the code of conduct. I just question if the DeLorean is considered an exotic car? I like the tag exotic attached to it but exotic makes me think of a Spyker, Vector, Morgan that sort of thing.

Also, do people really have that much trouble with k-jets? Maybe i'm a little nieve but I have put about 50,000 miles on my current D throughout its life with no fuel injection issues at all. I did put 10,000 on a previous one wich did suffer from some k-jet issues but nothing that a quick trip to Grady's didn't cure. I have to be honest that whole carburetor thing......I just don't get it.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

I dont consider it an exotic. unique, yes. Exotic, no.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast