FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to ship to the UK/EU - A Guide

Quote Originally Posted by flux3d View Post
    The problem with just using the headphone jacks output directly into the circuit before the amplifier is that the signals power would probably be too great for the circuit, therefore potentially damaging the electronics. The strength of the signal coming out of the headphone jack is far higher powered than the compatible signal from the cassette head pickup. Maybe these units have a simple, but effective way of reducing this signal. Have to look into it.
    I assume there's a resistor in there somewhere to limit the signal strength, or some intentionally inefficient design (weak coil?) that only transmits a portion of the signal strength. I always put my MP3 player on full volume with the cassette adapter, and so far no damage to anything. It's the same MP3 player that gave me quite a bit of hearing loss when I used headphones with it, so the volume is only as limited as the particular song it's playing. It was made before they started putting in volume limitations to avoid hearing loss, but thankfully in the five years since I stopped listening full volume with headphones (now just one ear at half volume), all the hearing loss has been reversed. None of the three cars I tried the cassette adapter in (two GM makes and one Jag) ever had any damage to their radios, and all three were stock units.

And if you're wondering how I managed to give myself that much hearing loss without noticing, well, I did notice. I just liked it loud so I could hear everything in the song. Still do, but I've learned my lesson and try to keep it at a reasonable volume for most songs.

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Thanks Shep, yeh I imagin your right, some sort of resistor or other reducing electronics. I might be able to use this circuit and hook it directly into the signal relay thats coming out of the tapedeck before the amp. I can then run the aux cable out the back and probably down the central column to the ashtray, where I can fix a consealed AUX port. Therefore I can use both the tape and radio function as normal, plus just plug in any other device into the aux. Nice and neat. We will see. Have to post it on the blog and here, let you know how it goes.

Most people seem to go for after market unit anyway, but i think it ruins the look of the interior.

Mind you, need the car here in the UK first!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

FWIW, I use these all the time too.

Here's one for just over a quid

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPOD-MP3-Aud...1772359&sr=8-1

or you can pay a tenner for a Sony one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CPA9-AE...1772359&sr=8-3
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Cheers Dangermouse. Both look the business. I'll have to order one off Amazon and let you know my progress at installing it directly into my stereo, that is when #10719 finally makes it over from the States. As she was booked to leave NY on friday there have been just a few problems and she's still sitting in a garage in Indiana. Mind you, better there than full of seawater at the docks!

EMDF, I've looked a your blog on #559. Looking great mate! I'll be popping back to see your progress. Can't believe how much it'll cost you in the end, but I'm sure its more than worth it. Looking forward to seeing the final results of all that hard work and cash. I've also posted on my blog (for what its worth) about your excellent site, plu linked to it.

Hope all goes well.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2