FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How often to start my Delorean?

My VIN:    06960

1: Change oil, drive down tank to nearly empty (good long drive, gets everything nice and hot and one more bit of enjoyment), park, overinflate tires to max rated pressure, remove battery.

2: Wait 5 months.

3: Start taking everything apart in April, despite having a heated garage

4: Rush everything back together in the week before DCS

5: Drive to DCS.

*Steps 3-5 not applicable to most folks.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    06960

Joking aside, I'd like to reiterate NOT to start the engine occasionally unless your taking it on a full long drive. It'll be just fine sitting for 6 months.

Also, even though its not driven, I do like to open the bonnet, doors, and louvers occasionally to keep their seals better lubed.

Also run the AC for at least a few minutes on that last time you have the engine running, freshens up the oil circulation.

In spring, turn on your AC while the engine is at idle, and leave it there for a minute. It'll be gentler on it than hitting it at highway speeds after sitting for so long.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    1: Change oil, drive down tank to nearly empty (good long drive, gets everything nice and hot and one more bit of enjoyment), park, overinflate tires to max rated pressure, remove battery.

2: Wait 5 months.

3: Start taking everything apart in April, despite having a heated garage

4: Rush everything back together in the week before DCS

5: Drive to DCS.

*Steps 3-5 not applicable to most folks.

Hilarious! But that cooled seat of yours looks like it was well worth the rush to get it ready for DCS. What are you going to have this winter to make you rush to complete the next project being that there is no DCS in 2013?
    David Proehl

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    .......... What are you going to have this winter to make you rush to complete the next project being that there is no DCS in 2013?
    DMC Midwest new building open house?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

I will start mine once or twice a month. I try to keep it ready for a good day in the winter for a drive when the salt has been washed off the road.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I only plan to have it stored a few months, why is it bad to start it only and let it get to temperature? Keeping moisture out of the system is they key right?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I try to keep it ready for a good day in the winter for a drive when the salt has been washed off the road.
    That's interesting. Around here once the roads are salted they are bright white until we get a good rain in late -March. I wouldn't consider taking mine out until the spring thaw and first good rainstorm.

I know I've written it up elsewhere but I personally fall into the "fill up the tires, nearly empty gas tank, battery out, cover and park it" crowd. I don't generally touch it from December 1 to April 1. Fresh oil/coolant before storing is good. If you've been driving it a lot and are anywhere near needing an oil change, do it before you park it for the winter. It is truly amazing what will fall out of dirty oil over a long period of time.

We don't even test drive customer cars in the winter, they just go back into the warehouse when completed. We generally have a week or two of "test and tune" in the spring after the above mentioned rain.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That's interesting. Around here once the roads are salted they are bright white until we get a good rain in late -March. I wouldn't consider taking mine out until the spring thaw and first good rainstorm.

I know I've written it up elsewhere but I personally fall into the "fill up the tires, nearly empty gas tank, battery out, cover and park it" crowd. I don't generally touch it from December 1 to April 1. Fresh oil/coolant before storing is good. If you've been driving it a lot and are anywhere near needing an oil change, do it before you park it for the winter. It is truly amazing what will fall out of dirty oil over a long period of time.

We don't even test drive customer cars in the winter, they just go back into the warehouse when completed. We generally have a week or two of "test and tune" in the spring after the above mentioned rain.
    My car has only had 10 miles put on it in the 3 months I have owed it. It has a long list of issues so for now till after Christmas it's going to have to set.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    05141

This weekend was the first frost, and the roads have been salted. So it was time to put her asleep, sad moment. We have more or less the same climate as New York, a bit less severe.

I can fit 3 cars in my garage, it is a bit tight but I can. It is always 12°C in there(+/- 55°F) even when it freezes. I do wash the car very well before winter storage, especially the alloys becasue the brake dust can really eat into the paint. I vacuum the car, and remove the foot carpets so it can all breathe better. The tank is half full which is more than I normally do, but I will not drive anymore with the salted roads now. I open both windows and put the cover on it. No mice or anything so no worries there. I also remove the spare tire, less weight on the front axel and tires.

I used to start the car every 6 weeks. I also let it run until the fans come on, turen the heater on full blast to dry the the car or the heatbox a bit. I sit in the car and sometimes gntly let her go to 2000RPM for a few seconds. I also take the cargo net
    About 2 times in the winter, when the roads are certainly free of salt. I will drive it for 30 minutes, and back into the garage. About once a week, I push the car back or forward a bit to prevent hot spots.

This is the first winter I do not have any major work to the car. Just the lights in the console are out, that is about it.
    Jan

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Dick,

Good tip on letting the engine get to temperature, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately for me I have to store my car in a storage unit so I cant put a battery tender on it so for now I just take the battery out or disconnect it till the next time I start it. It still shocks me how tricky these cars can be, up until I owned one I thought I knew alot about them...lol Thanks.
    I think they make battery tenders that plug in to your cigarette lighter. It uses the battery to keep the battery charged. I could swear I have seen them on amazon.

I keep a car in the garage and try to drive it once a month. I keep the battery tender on it. I think it is good for extending the life of the battery as well. It is easier on the battery when it i kept at full charge. My car always starts right up.
    Last edited by delorean91; 11-04-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast