FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The Restoration of VIN 4363

My VIN:    06960

Wow, what is the engine history here? I'd be very concerned if this engine was running recently, as those heads have absolutely no oil in them! There should be *something*.

That weld looks like it was a repair from a broken exhaust stud that was drilled out improperly. Assuming the repair was done well, its probably ok.

The freeze plug can probably be repaired assuming no major aluminum corrosion on the inside. Even then, perhaps a good machine shop can come up with something.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    Formerly 10084

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Wow, what is the engine history here? I'd be very concerned if this engine was running recently, as those heads have absolutely no oil in them! There should be *something*.
    Engine hasn't run since last July, been drained of oil and sitting on a stand for more than 6 months.
    -Derek

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
    http://www.deloreanclubfl.com - Florida's home for DeLorean owners and enthusiasts!

Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ | Grey Metallic | Black Performance Interior | Pano | Carbon Fiber Decor | Dual Chargers | Tech Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Rear Facing Seats --- Added: CF Spoiler | Front Camera Kit | Yacht Floor

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeli View Post
    Doesn't sound like his 10k bought much.

With all the tear down into the engine, are you going to upgrade the engine, or are you just cleaning and going stock?
    My original intent was to tear it down and do cams & exhaust, but financial constraints may force me to alter my plans. It may all depend on what needs replacing.

At this point, it's starting to look like new heads at the very least. I'm hoping the block is in good shape.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

For those who haven't been following this thread from the start, I have fixed all the earlier links from page 1 onward. Now you can all look back and remember what this car looked like in the very beginning!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    11596

Morpheus, I'm going to be doing a frame-off this summer. How did the chemical dip work out? What exactly was the process? I am going to have to get that done to mine. How did it all turn out? Pics??

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Short answer: It's still going on.

The shop has had it for almost a month, and I'm getting antsy. Spoke to the guy today, and he anticipates it will be finished and ready to pick up the middle of next week. Rest assured, I will be taking lots of pics and posting a full write up.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Today, after a month of waiting, I was able to go pick up my frame from the "strip joint". I was quite impressed with what awaited me:

I'm amazed with how clean everything came out., i'm even more amazed at how few rust holes I found. Those nasty welds up front are in fact worse than they looked before. I'm fairly confident that I could have done a better job, and I haven't welded since shop class in high school.

The insides of the engine cradle look like swiss cheese...

Tomorrow, I take this mess of naked steel to my metal shop guy. Hopefully he can work some magic and I can get this thing galvanized before DCS!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Wow, really cool. Never seen a frame naked like that. Too bad about the holes and the weld, but you'll get it fixed up
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Well, looks great. A few patches and welds plus the galvanization and voila! It will be nice to know you have a virtually new/better than new frame under your car!
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    Formerly 10084

I can't believe that front frame held attached to the rest of the car!

Frames looking mighty clean. Amazing how that engine cradle looks after the dip. Get your metal shop guy working overtime on patching that thing up!
    -Derek

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
    http://www.deloreanclubfl.com - Florida's home for DeLorean owners and enthusiasts!

Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ | Grey Metallic | Black Performance Interior | Pano | Carbon Fiber Decor | Dual Chargers | Tech Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Rear Facing Seats --- Added: CF Spoiler | Front Camera Kit | Yacht Floor

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast