FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: illuminated aussie stainless steel shift plate

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    The reason why I ask is because if you do the door sill and illuminate the lines in addition to the DMC logo, I'd definitely be interested. DMCMW just illuminates the logo, but at night it's hard to see the rest of the door sill.
    It would be really fiddly and probably not very durable to do this with one sheet of EL material, if I was going to do this I'd use high brightness EL wire running through small holes at the start and end of each groove (so it can be held under tension properly).

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    It would be really fiddly and probably not very durable to do this with one sheet of EL material, if I was going to do this I'd use high brightness EL wire running through small holes at the start and end of each groove (so it can be held under tension properly).
    Acrylic light pipe, and an LED on the end.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    That would work but the brightness would vary a lot along the length of it.

I have incidentally ordered one of these shifter plates + the DMCMW sills for my RHD DMC-12 rebuild; we don't have any sills or a shifter boot at the moment, so I thought why not. Will wrap the shifter column in some padding + scrap vinyl though, I think it looks ugly left bare.

My VIN:    06960

That would work but the brightness would vary a lot along the length of it.
    Not with the proper taper it wouldn't. They can get very uniform brightness along some fairly long lengths and shapes. I've done some previous work with light pipes. Then again, the needs of the door sill would be quite complex given the size.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    I thought it was done with multiple LEDs under diffused plastic to even the light spread. Isn't that how the DMCMW door sills are designed?

Something similar to this:

Example:

I know run-of-the-mill "EXIT" signs have two bulbs behind a diffuser to provide even coverage. Should work in this case too I would think.
    Attached Images

Club(s):  

I thought it was done with multiple LEDs under diffused plastic to even the light spread.
    It would be very difficult to fit that kind of setup into the sill grooves; I use white LED strips a fair bit for PC case lighting and there's not enough depth (unless someone has made an ultra-flat SMT LED strip with integrated diffusers I don't know about). To backlight the whole thing with LEDs you'd have to essentially build new sills out of perspex and layer some strips of plastic on top of it to replicate the original grooves - adhesion issues probably not as bad as the stainless strips but still not ideal. I guess you could cut channels into some thick perspex with a router and have a seperate stripe pattern mounted on the bottom, a lot of hassle though.

Compared to all that EL wire is cheap, flexible and easy to use; I'm planning to outline the rear fascia logo with it, rather than LED backlight the whole surrounding area as some people have done.

Just thought I would say Andy bought one of these plates over to test fit on 6380 last night. Very simple to fit, looked great and the gears shifted beautifully, very positive feeling as it slipped into each part of the shift gate. If I wasn't currently doing a BTTF conversion, I would have snapped one up.

Brad

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I thought it was done with multiple LEDs under diffused plastic to even the light spread. Isn't that how the DMCMW door sills are designed?
    No, DMCMW sills are EL backlit.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    No, DMCMW sills are EL backlit.
    I'll be damned, I did not know that. Learn something new every day.

My VIN:    6600

Plates

Still got some plates left for anyone interested 😃

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast