FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Switch Questions

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Headlight Switch Questions

The other night I experienced trouble with the headlight button in my car. It would not stay pushed and after several jabs at it it did stay on. Today the headlights will turn on but none of the car's other lights come one i.e. side marker lights, tail lights and the binnacle light. I checked any related fuses and all test fine. My next guess is that the headlight switch is skipping the first push which turns those on and going straight to turning the headlights on. Is this possible? What else should I check for? As always thank you for any assistance.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The headlight switch is melted inside. If you take it apart you may be able to use it for a while but the best advice is to buy a new one. SpecialT sells one with a relay kit so the switch does not have to carry the full load of the headlights and side markers.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

Headlight switch doesn't carry headlight loads. That is why they are on relays.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrooks View Post
    Headlight switch doesn't carry headlight loads. That is why they are on relays.
    Correct. The relay modification is just to eliminate the "parking" light loads (about 6 amps if you have all incandescent).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thank you very much. I will place an order with SpecialT today.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The best part of the relay mod is not just the load of the running lights. That isn't all that much. The problem is when they corrode and you get a short, that's when the current draw goes way up and you melt the innards of the switch. The switch is also all plastic inside and was never intended to last 30 years and a lot of switch cycles. Every time you turn it on you hit it 3X. Once to get the running lights, once to get the headlights, and once to turn it off.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5930

Club(s):   (ADOA)

Mine got fire after getting stuck when pushed too hard. If I were you I'd definitely replace it with the improved switch before.

My VIN:    16409

Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Mine got fire after getting stuck when pushed too hard. If I were you I'd definitely replace it with the improved switch before.
    Oh god!! That sounds scary! I'm assuming you were able to get it put out ok? Did you by chance get any pictures of it?
    1-800-273-8255

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The best part of the relay mod is not just the load of the running lights. That isn't all that much. The problem is when they corrode and you get a short, that's when the current draw goes way up and you melt the innards of the switch. The switch is also all plastic inside and was never intended to last 30 years and a lot of switch cycles. Every time you turn it on you hit it 3X. Once to get the running lights, once to get the headlights, and once to turn it off.
    David Teitelbaum
    ;
    What do you mean by this: ......The problem is when they corrode and you get a short,.........
    Corrosion itself does not cause a short.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast