FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Group photo at QAC?

My VIN:    5090

This link gives a clue to the fate of the Irvine QAC. http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...ean_irvine.php. Using Google Earth, I "stood" in the parking lot, The power lines sure look the same !
    Attached Images

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    What's a POG?
    A POG looks like a Pig while working like a dOG.

I think thats how he put it. It was a very interesting presentation. I must have been too busy listening to remember the photo.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Kerichbe View Post
    This link gives a clue to the fate of the Irvine QAC. http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...ean_irvine.php. Using Google Earth, I "stood" in the parking lot, The power lines sure look the same !
    Yea, thats it for sure. For those curious the current address of the Home Depot currently residing there is...

3500 West MacArthur Boulevard, Santa Ana, CA

The power lines are to the north. Its easiest to see them from the far east of the parking lot due to a bunch of trees that are now planted between the parking lot and Mac Arthur Blvd.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    6125

Here is a birds eye view from Bing Maps

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Out of curiosity, is there any record or way to know if your car passed through one of the QACs? I'm pretty sure mine did given the screws in the plastic side sills, and I assume it was Irvine as it was sold just outside San Francisco originally. Just curious if there's any documentation to be had.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there any record or way to know if your car passed through one of the QACs? I'm pretty sure mine did given the screws in the plastic side sills, and I assume it was Irvine as it was sold just outside San Francisco originally. Just curious if there's any documentation to be had.
    Screws in the sills were actually done at the factory, not the QAC. VIN 2100 did go thru the Santa Ana QAC.

This was at the Santa Ana QAC with the first shipment of cars to dealers. Foam is missing as they would have blown off in the wind on the transporters. Leif Montin (our source of this photo, though there were copies for everyone in the photo, I'm told) and C.R. Brown can be seen at the far left of this photo. Leif is facing away from the camera towards C.R. behind him.

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Thanks James.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Thanks James.
    Interesting. The email notification of your replied also had the text "So this would have been May 1981?" while it no longer appears in your post on the site and you rpost doesn't have the "edited" notation.

In any case - I'd date it as late May 1981 or early June 1981 based on the first known validated retail sale date of a DeLorean was 6/17/81. Since that posting from 1999, three other VINs are also verified to have been sold on that date - 1398, 1114, and 1050.

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

You got me

I retracted the second line, intending to research the actual date the first cars were sold, before taking a guess at the photo date.

So my guess would have been correct
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    In any case - I'd date it as late May 1981 or early June 1981 based on the first known validated retail sale date of a DeLorean was 6/17/81. Since that posting from 1999, three other VINs are also verified to have been sold on that date - 1398, 1114, and 1050.

James
    I had no idea cars weren't sold to customers until mid June. They had been coming off the assembly line for 3 months at that point, and production was starting to really ramp up. I was always under the impression that the cars were available earlier, but in small quantities... hence the initial demand. This changes my entire view of DeLorean saga. The cars were in demand and the company was successful for such a short period. By the end of '81 demand was low and supply was seriously mounting. It seems the only successful timeframe DMCL experienced was perhaps June-October of '81. It makes more sense now why the British government stopped funding DMCL so quickly after the cars entered production... the company as it stood was not viable, & was based on utterly unrealistic numbers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast