FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy 1984 RHD Twin-Turbo DeLorean

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Fantasy 1984 RHD Twin-Turbo DeLorean

Hello, I would like to talk a little about the build I'm working on at the moment. Or rather Chris Nicholson is working on : the car is being built at P J Grady Europe, I am just doing the plan and some minor electrical and engine work. There is already a thread about this on both UK club forums, but I've got so many useful suggestions from those I hope no-one minds if I make another one here. There's always more to learn that could make things better or the build go smoother.

The concept for this car is 'what if the management buyout of the factory had suceeded, and the Wooler Hodec and Legend prototypes had actually gone into production'. The starting point was a damaged and never-completed WH car that P J Grady Europe salvaged, just a chassis, some miscellaneous body parts and a VIN really. Chris N is working hard on completing this car and we hope to get it on the road next year. I am glad this car never previously existed as a working, registered vehicle as it gives me a bit more freedom to depart from stock configuration without the purists getting too upset; whatever we build will be 'original' for this particular vehicle. I am trying to incorporate every sensible fix and upgrade that I can afford; I have spent a lot of time reading forums, cataloguing problems people have had, researching vendors and upgraded parts.

Basic configuration :
    * Manual, grey interior (I know, wrong for WH, but that's what was available)
    * Early windscreen (for appearance) plus rear power aerial (for functionality).
    * Early style dash digital clock
    * Dash vents and radio slot swapped around (to allow pop-up screen) : also intake filter mesh
    * Right-hand-drive conversion (completed following Wooler Hodec pattern).
    * Dealer options : small grey side stripe, luggage rack, cargo net, floor mats

Upgraded parts that are fitted, purchased waiting to be fitted or under construction :
    * Eibach euro-spec springs, Spax shocks, improved sway bar, front tower brace strut
    * Byrne Heninger's reinforced lower control arms
    * Rear intercooler air scoops based on the ITAL Design concept for production turbo DeLorean
    * Three row brass / copper radiator with metal ends + upgraded low current fans + air dam
    * 140 Amp alternator and high power low-noise fuel pump (SpecialTAuto)
    * All exterior + cabin lights replaced with SuperBrightLEDs, with PWM courtesty light dimmer module
    * All cooling/brake/clutch/fuel hoses sillicone and/or with stainless braided covers (as applicable).
    * Air bleeders on the coolant + clutch lines.
    * PJ Grady fibreglass front + rear fascias (gloss finnish); rear to have 'twin turbo' moulded into it.
    * Wings-A-Loft remote locking w/trunk release, battery isolator
    * Electronic replacements for fan/fan fail/RPM relays + headlight switch saver relay
    * Much stronger fuse panel with light-up-on-fail fuses + improved earth wire (SpecialTAuto)
    * Soft-lift gas struts with SS mounting reinforcement plates
    * Two-tone grey seat covers (from SpecialTAuto), also DMC logo steering wheel center patch
    * Improved cargo area sound insulation + sound insulation in wheel arches
    * Cabin speakers upgraded to Infinity 329CF fronts + Infinity 529I rears
    * LED-lit VGA 7" flip-up monitor in dash w/integrated radio
    * Front + rear four channel ultrasonic parking sensors, third brake light
    * Lots of stainless bits : engine grills, rock screen, rear logo, coolant tank, assorted brackets,
    de-ice cover, throttle cover, coil cover, warning & information plates, oil drain plug etc
    * Illuminated shifter plate + stainless shifter knob

Upgrades that are still being worked on :
    * Bracket for detachable tow hook. Chris N is working on a plan for this, obviously will
    need electrics & sockets if fitted.
    * Center console switch array to be replaced with five of the DMC Texas light-up window
    switches, three of which I will rewire to be touch-on / touch-off toggles with colour-changing
    LEDs in them to show state. Intend to make stainless (black gloss) caps for all switches with
    toggles used for defrost, fog light and aux lighting (last to have 'hover mode' logo, thanks Simon ).
    * Powered USB3 hubs will be integrated into center console and glovebox.
    * USB-driven time departure display (removable BTTF prop) : making this at home from spare bits

Things that are still undecided / not sourced / up in the air;
    * Engine. This is the big one, I would really like one of Josh's upcoming Legend-replica engines, but I
    have blown so much of the budget on other improved bits that I'm not sure if I can still afford it.
    Currently waiting on quote from DPI (crated engine and possibly coupler + clutch shipped to UK);
    if not possible then the original and now backup plan is to put an Island twin-turbo kit on a stock engine.
    * Brakes : don't currently have any discs or calipers. Looking at the Hi-Spec parts.
    * Wheels : would like slightly larger than stock but Martin G's are just too big. Hoping Welmeod
    eventually gets his spec manufactured.
    * Hood style. Was originally going to go with the late / flat style; I like the look and it matches
    the '1984 DeLorean' theme. However certain people have said that a Wooler Hodec car absolutely
    must have an early style grooved/flapped hood. Problem with that is, where could I get a locking gas cap?
    * Frame : considered galvanising it, but the build was already very complex and I was starting to get
    concerned about being able to afford a DPI engine. Standard for now but maybe one day will fit a
    stainless frame, if a viable post-Pearce vendor emerges.
    * Waterless engine coolant : saw some people on here getting good results with the Evans stuff?
    * Car PC - I will make a decent car PC eventually but currently I have no budget left for it.
    Also have run coax for backup camera, might add one eventually.
    * External speakers; have run cables to behind grill in case I want to fit marine speakers later.
    If/when more funding is available might also put a subwoofer in a cubbyhole and a little LED spot
    pointing at the front grill DMC logo.

Suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by Starglider; 11-03-2012 at 02:16 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You will find it very difficult to assemble all of the parts required to do an Island Turbo kit at this time. Unless you know someone who hoarded enough of the hard to obtain pieces do not figure on that as a back-up plan. On a limited budget you do not have many options available to upgrade the motor. I agree an '84 would have had some kind of turbo-charging but one option is maybe to get a Stage II motor from DMCH. Again, it also has to fit your budget. Maybe you should just stay stock on the motor for now and do something later. Many of the things you are planning to do would not have been available back in '84 if your objective is to try to build a car as the factory would have done it in 1984. The Legend engine was not going to be what the Island Turbo kit is. The Legend engine was to have custom cams and forged pistons to handle higher levels of boost than the Island kit running @ 5 lbs boost. For the fuseblocks, I would make up 2 as Lotus did, one in back and one in front. The rear one would have mostly the engine circuits, the front would have most of the circuits in the front of the car. You might consider putting a emblem or some kind of design on the seat backs for the Twin Turbo if you do it. I had a decal made up that said Island Turbo with a circular design to distinguish the car when I did an Island conversion. That car is now in Italy. It was put on over the rear wheel well arches on each side. For cues and ideas on what the '84 Delorean might have been you can always look at Lotus and see what they were doing circa 1984. You also have to consider that DMC would have tried to make some minor styling changes to differentiate the '84's from the previous 3 years.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Many of the things you are planning to do would not have been available back in '84 if your objective is to try to build a car as the factory would have done it in 1984.
    Given the additional electronics it would definitely be a 1984 car that has had at least one gadget-obsessed owner in the intervening years. Nothing like this is ever going to win a concours competition though so I'm not bothered.

The Legend engine was not going to be what the Island Turbo kit is. The Legend engine was to have custom cams and forged pistons to handle higher levels of boost than the Island kit running @ 5 lbs boost.
    I know, that's why I'm hoping I can afford Josh's design, which although not a strict replica should be much closer (and more reliable).

For the fuseblocks, I would make up 2 as Lotus did, one in back and one in front. The rear one would have mostly the engine circuits, the front would have most of the circuits in the front of the car.
    That's an interesting idea. I'm tempted, I'm just a little concerned about future maintenance (e.g. by later owners) if I significantly deviate from the original wiring harness layout. Additional cables for things like USB sockets can just be ignored or removed but altering the original wiring harnesses could cause problems. One of the advantages of Josh's design vs some other vendors is that he's using near-stock K-Jet rather than EFI, so the engine electrics don't change much.

For cues and ideas on what the '84 Delorean might have been you can always look at Lotus and see what they were doing circa 1984. You also have to consider that DMC would have tried to make some minor styling changes to differentiate the '84's from the previous 3 years.
    Probably although funds would have been limited for a production restart under the management buyout plan. Don't know if they could've altered the moulds although they could've changed trim : any ideas? I considered a minor alteration of the headlights but I didn't find anything appropriate that I was confident of getting a UK legal beam pattern out of.

My comments had nothing to do with trying to maintain originality or concours quality. If your objective is to create a 1984 Delorean as DMC might have built it then those standards do not apply. Any styling changes would have been superficial, maybe a different rub rail, different taillights, some badging, etc. Not only was DMC short on money, they would also have to use up the existing stock before making changes. So what would be changed would also depend on how much they had of different items. If you do make changes other than a stock 81-83 Delorean (the wiring for example) you of course must also document it for future maintenance purposes.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Any styling changes would have been superficial, maybe a different rub rail
    Here is an idea; I could split the rub rails longitudinally into upper and lower halves, mount them on a thin rigid backing, then fill in the area inbetween with material similar to the grey dealer side stripe. Hmm, would have to mock that up and see how it looked.

In retrospect the hood style should definitely be flat as they wouldn't have gone back to grooves with a limited budget. However the hood logo would plausibly have been located on the other side for a production RHD car, so will implement that.

You are definitely on the right track. The factory would have tried to modify existing stock if they could to change the look of the car. That has 2 benefits, it doesn't cost much and makes use of the existing stock. Use your imagination and try to make use of what DMC had on hand and how it can be modified or used differently. They didn't have any grooved hoods and certainly none with gas flaps. They also no longer had the windscreens with the antennae. Likely they would have gotten a different radio too. The 81's had the Craig, the 82's had the ASI. BTW, the '83's were "put-together's" not really a production year. They were the 82's that were not built in '82. They were built too late to be considered 82's, they would have been too old so they were relabeled as 83's. I guess what I am saying is the last "real" production year was '82 so what you are really trying to build is what would have been a production '83. Just a minor point really.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I like your idea of making the light up switchs work with two color LEDs and work as an SPST switch. I was going to do this for my ECON/POWER switch but the problem is to get a new switch cap made. My fan fail unit already has two color light planned. I drive a -5 volt signal to the light now when the fans are on and no failure has been detected. When I make a new AC LED board, it will have a green "FAN" light when the fans are on and will turn red when the "FAN" fails.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I was going to do this for my ECON/POWER switch but the problem is to get a new switch cap made.
    P J Grady Europe previously had some stainless steel engraved window / defrost switch caps made up by a local firm that looked very good. I'm not sure exactly what the finish was; I plan to investigate and see if a versions with translucent markings can be made when I next visit. Will report back on my findings.

When I make a new AC LED board, it will have a green "FAN" light when the fans are on and will turn red when the "FAN" fails.
    Good idea.

My VIN:    12173

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    * Right-hand-drive conversion (completed following Wooler Hodec pattern).
    The question is, which pattern? The evidence indicates that there were two distinct 'phases' of Wooler-Hodec conversion patterns:

• Phase 1: Single brake servo/booster
    • Phase 2: Dual brake servo/booster

In my research I am referring to the dual brake servo/booster cars as the "phase 2" cars since the car(s) destined to be launched by DMCL at the Birmingham Motor Show, England in October 1982 have the phase 2 set-up.

I understand Chris's pattern for RHD conversion is based on templates taken from VIN# 12179 which is a phase 1 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    * ...certain people have said that a Wooler Hodec car absolutely must have an early style grooved/flapped hood.
    No, the Wooler-Hodec cars have flat hoods.
    Phil Peters
    VIN #12173

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Peters View Post
    In my research I am referring to the dual brake servo/booster cars as the "phase 2" cars since the car(s) destined to be launched by DMCL at the Birmingham Motor Show, England in October 1982 have the phase 2 set-up.
    This came up in an earlier conversation with Chris, I expressed a preference for the later pattern, but Chris said that the existing dual-servo cars have had reliability problems and that's why he uses the single-servo pattern.
    I am prepared to sacrifice time, money and sometimes functionality for authenticity, but not braking system reliability!

No, the Wooler-Hodec cars have flat hoods.
    It turned out this person was thinking of VIN 12199, but the fuel flap hood on that car was atypical (and I believe recently replaced with a flat one).
    Due to being new to the DeLorean community I have a bad habit of assuming anyone who has been around longer than me knows what they are talking about.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast