FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non-invasive BTTF mod - a thought

My VIN:    07000

Non-invasive BTTF mod - a thought

I know this subject has come up a number of times in the past- how to do a BTTF mod without drilling the beautiful SS of one's D.
    Has anyone thought about using automotive grade VHB tape like car manufacturers use to adhere emblems? You could still get the look of the screws and brackets by cutting off the heads of screws and jbwelding them to the brackets that hold down the flux tubes and wires, and those would be held to the skin with VHB..

That way if you ever wanted to go back to stock, it's a case of removing the tape and scraping it off. Being there's no paint to worry about scratching, I would think this is a pretty elegant solution.

Also, didn't someone have a mod they did where they were able to keep the side quarter glass in tact?

My VIN:    5930

Club(s):   (ADOA)

I used to have a simpler solution: own two deloreans, keep one as stock, convert the other to bttf. Now I have an even simpler solution: leave my car as stock. If I want to see a bttf conversion, I watch the movie in Full HD.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

How to convert a Delorean into a BTTF time machine, without people complaining

How to convert a Delorean into a BTTF time machine, without people complaining about BTTF conversion ruining a beautiful car.

Step 1. Convert car to BTTF time machine
    Step 2. Install carburetor
    Last edited by stevedmc; 11-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.

My VIN:    6125

As I've said before, I've never heard of anyone turning their BTTF conversion back to stock... it just never happens. If you ever convert DeLorean into a time machine you'll quickly understand why. There are just too many things you need to modify that have to be permanent for it to be worth the time taking it back to stock.

Plus there is no way to (correctly) fit all of the props on the fiberglass pontoons, rear deck, and interior without removing the side and rear glass.

Using double stick tape for the flux boxes, flux bands, etc would be a complete disaster. You don't want 10 lb chunks of resin or wood falling off and bouncing up into someone's windshield, or 3/4" tube impaling someone on the freeway. Unless you want to risk somone elses life those parts have to be screwed on, period.

It comes down to how bad you want your car to be a time machine... if you seriously want to go down that road then you just have to accept the fact that you'll be drilling some holes and taking out glass.

My VIN:    07000

Thanks guys-

Carburetor- check!

I'm actually someone who loves the Delorean stock (though a stage II upgrade is tempting), and would keep it that way. However, having built one movie replica (fully functional R2D2), the thought way way way in the back of my head is to make a BTTF Delorean. That's where it most likely would come down to finding a good donor that's cheap, getting it running, replace the interior parts that one would see (if the interior is bad), and then do a a conversion. I'm not interested in resale, since this would be more for charity work and just as collectables (both of them).

Or I'll just build a Wall-E next... who knows.

And maybe a shelf insert with the Flux Capacitor, greeblies and the digital VU power meter that I can just fit in and take out when I want. As far as people asking questions or staring and all that, I don't mind. I get that a lot with R2, and I currently ride a 2004 Honda Rune, which pretty much draws a crowd everywhere I go.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by mjdehlin View Post
    Using double stick tape for the flux boxes, flux bands, etc would be a complete disaster. You don't want 10 lb chunks of resin or wood falling off and bouncing up into someone's windshield, or 3/4" tube impaling someone on the freeway. Unless you want to risk somone elses life those parts have to be screwed on, period.
    P J Grady Europe make an exterior BTTF conversion kit that doesn't require any new holes to be drilled, or anything glued to the car, or the back glass removed. It works by adding extension brackets to the stainless panel mounting points, which are then used to attach the stainless flux bands and rear deck. All rear parts are mounted to the removable deck, not directly to the pontoons. The only bit that does have to be removed is the rear quarterlight glass (although obviously if the bulkhead goes over the rear glass it is not screen accurate, but >99% of onlookers aren't going to be bothered by that). I suspect a similar approach could be applied to the interior although some holes in the vinyl are probably unavoidable. Personally I am considering building the car with stainless steel latches such that BTTF style props can easily be added/removed.

I am in the middle of my conversion atm and mine will be reversible. The only holes drilled will be in a 2nd hand t panel, the pontoons and the front bumper. I removed the rear side window glass without breakage, back window is next.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Brisfx View Post
    I am in the middle of my conversion atm and mine will be reversible. The only holes drilled will be in a 2nd hand t panel, the pontoons and the front bumper. I removed the rear side window glass without breakage, back window is next.
    I guess you have a different definition of what "reversible" or "non invasive" is then. My assumption was that the props could be removable without any evidence of them having been there and without the need for repainting, repairing, welding, or replacement of damaged original parts with new parts.

I would disagree that your conversion is reversible since to get your car back to a pre-BTTF state you' have to replace the drilled T panel, bondo and paint your pontoons and replace your front fascia. The fascia alone is $500-1000. Per the original post I would consider that "invasive" to most people doing a BTTF mod to their car. Otherwise I guess you could consider welding up a hole in your stainless fender and regraining it reversible.

So back to my original point: If you're planning a BTTF conversion be prepared to drill stainless and remove windows.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Here is a novel idea. Why not spend your time/money making the car reliable first? Then spend your money making it into a time machine.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by mjdehlin View Post
    So back to my original point: If you're planning a BTTF conversion be prepared to drill stainless and remove windows.
    As I just said, at least two BTTF conversions have been done with no stainless drilling at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast