FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A good mechanic

My VIN:    3028

A good mechanic

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that is located in Canada (Ontario or Quebec) that can do major work on my D. I do not want to ship it down to Grady's or a DMC facility in the States if I can avoid it.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

There are no official DeLorean technicians in Canada. I used to joke that I'm the closest thing, which is for two reasons:
    -I do all my own work (except for tire changes and an A/C charge once)
    -To depict the sad state of readily available service in Canada.

Most others seem to look for a Volvo repair facility with a technician who has been there long enough to know our drivetrains. Even then, it's still a crap shoot; hopefully one Toronto owner will chime in about how long it took to get his car back from what should have been a simple head gasket/cooling system replacement. (hint: The answer is in months)

Being in Quebec may be an advantage for you. Politics aside, in my experience you are in a distinct culture compared to the rest of the country. It feels more European there, to me. You also bought more French cars than any other province. Any technician who can handle the hydraulic suspension system of a Citroen would consider a complete DeLorean teardown and rebuild a piece of cake. It never hurts to ask around about any old-time technicians still in operation, and to go talk to them about what you want/need done.

What DO you want/need done, anyhow? Maybe another owner has been through it already and can help out.

There are several things that I would like to get done like a complete fuel system rebuild, but I would like to take it to some mechanic who has enough experience to give the car a good once over and tell me where I need to upgrade.

I guess I'll be shipping it back down to the states next spring for some work. I really want someone who has the experience.

My VIN:    1930 June 1981, Black Interior, Automatic Transmission, Gas Flap Hood

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    Most others seem to look for a Volvo repair facility with a technician who has been there long enough to know our drivetrains. Even then, it's still a crap shoot; hopefully one Toronto owner will chime in about how long it took to get his car back from what should have been a simple head gasket/cooling system replacement. (hint: The answer is in months)
    I am the owner who went through automotive limbo this past year. After a blow up on the 401 in July of 2010 and a tow to Brampton, the mechanic took 11 months to finish my car.

I can say that aside from the very generous people in the ODOC, there are no "reliable" mechanics for the DMC in Ontario. The mechanic I used farmed out the work to several people, but I finally have my car back and it WORKS.

My biggest issue is trust...Although I finally have a drivable D, the mechanic treated it as a side project and was IMO unpredictable at times (ie: Not returning phone calls, the fact that I had to call and deal with DMCH (which in retrospect was good for me because I learned a LOT about the car and was advised against buying unnecessary parts...kudos to DMCH for their honesty and professionalism!!)

To make a long story short, I would GLADLY pay the shipping cost for my car to go to a DMC franchise if I had to do this again. They are the ones who know the car and they will not take you for a ride (no pun intended) when it comes to your restoration. I have never had a problem with the service from any DMC franchise.

All the more reason for a Canadian DMC franchise...Is anybody listening out there in DMCland?

All the best to you,
    Dean
    VIN 1930 June '81, Black Interior Gas Flap Auto Trans.
    Last edited by go_leafs_go; 07-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Mechanic

After reading the posts I have to agree that I will have to learn to do what I can on the car and not let a mechanic "learn" on my car.

And you are right for anything major or something I can't do I will ship it out to a DMC facility.

Aug 81, Grooved hood, Gas Flap, 5 Speed, Grey Interior.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Hi. You may try MGD auto Repair in Ottawa. Ask Manuel to fix it. He is really a gem. He use to fix the volvos and merc for the prime minister PET back then. They know BOSH and are speciallized in european model.

But I personnally haven't had my D fix anywhere. I do my own repair exept for tire removal, allignement...

My VIN:    17076

If you wish to stay on this side of the border, several ODOC Members have used two shops in Toronto. In the east end of the city, Toronto Brake has had experience with DMC-12s belonging to four of our Members (IIRC).

In the west end of the city, a newly discovered owner and new ODOC Member Louie... owns a shop in Mississauga where he has been working on his own DMC-12 for the last 7 years. There is another shop in Mississauga (which still may be on the club website) that many Members now consider to be overpriced and some electrical work has been found to be suspect.

ODOC is hoping for a visit to Toronto from someone in the official DMC Family to take a look at our cars at a Tech Day this year.... which is another resaon why if you are and Ontario Owner... you should join ODOC. it's free!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Delorean Performance would be more then happy to make our way up to Ontario. We have a basic lay out on how it works with a tech session. Best way to receive feed back is from the Rocky Mountain DMC club which uses us regularly for events.
    For more info feel free to contact us at [email protected] or 330 573 4129.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    17076

We seem to be finding new cars every week up here in the club. I would not be at all surprised if there are over 100 cars in Ontario. Certainly would be a good idea for SOMEONE to get up here for an ODOC Tech Day this year.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by 17076 View Post
    We seem to be finding new cars every week up here in the club. I would not be at all surprised if there are over 100 cars in Ontario. Certainly would be a good idea for SOMEONE to get up here for an ODOC Tech Day this year.
    Tell us when and we will do our best to schedule a visit.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters