FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Polishing Stainless Steel-Mirror Finish

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Polishing Stainless Steel-Mirror Finish

Does anyone know of a good somewhat quicker method of polishing the Stainlees? I am try to get it to a mirror finish and take out all the grain.
    So far Ive spent about and hour on each front fender and 2 hours on the roof but it is no where near mirror finish!
    By using the 3M pads by hand, not easy nor fun!
    Isn't there a air powered tool or something I thought?
    Let me know what anyone finds out
    Thx in advance.

Flyboy-DCF

My VIN:    5090

According to this article http://jalopnik.com/5459955/you-can-...ished-delorean it took this person about 40 hours per panel to get a mirror finish. Some areas actually took as much as 4 hrs per square inch. Yikes

Never Dull, and a corded drill with a buffing pad.
    1-800-273-8255

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I've had pretty good success cleaning my car with dirt and windex mixed together. In fact, I even won an award for it at DCS.

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
    Does anyone know of a good somewhat quicker method of polishing the Stainlees? I am try to get it to a mirror finish and take out all the grain.
    So far Ive spent about and hour on each front fender and 2 hours on the roof but it is no where near mirror finish!
    By using the 3M pads by hand, not easy nor fun!
    Isn't there a air powered tool or something I thought?
    Let me know what anyone finds out
    Thx in advance.

Flyboy-DCF
    Why don't you get in touch with the owner of that mirror finish D, I think he is from Cincinnati? I don't think doing it by hand is the way to go, definitely go get some power tools.

Keep us posted.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

That's correct, John lives here in Cincinnati. He did every bit of it by hand and he regularly says that it was 4hrs per square inch. He said its just something that started and got out of hand. It was something he did in his free time, something to do as a stress relief, and something he thought looked cool.

As cool as it is that he did it all by hand, if you're more interested in the finished product and not the journey to get there, do yourself a favor and use some power tools. There are plenty of ways to mechanically polish the car and get a very similar result in a fraction of the time. John's hand polished car is a reflection on his relationship with his car. I know he's had it since the early eightys, used it as a business commuting car with LOTS of traveling, put several hundreds of thousands of miles on it, rebuilt the engine at least once or twice. Also has some cool mods like power and heated seats.

My VIN:    3028

Nick, he never polished the bonnet and I am assuming so he doesn't get glare when driving, but how bad do you think it would be if he went this far? I always thought it looked off the fact the bonnet was still grained.

I don't think it would matter if you polished the hood. The drivers orientation, given the angle of the hood to the driver means that light would reflect away. So it would present a danger to other drivers, but not the D driver. Of course it'd be no more dangerous than all the other panels.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Trying to avoid getting an X perhaps?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Polishing Stainless Steel

Does anybody have any real info. on what kind of buffer and what kind of power tools needed to polish the stainless steel to a mirror finish?
    And where could I get them at?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast