FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Installing new pedal pads?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Wipedown with rag lightly dampened with lacquer thinner.
    I'll give that a try. I don't have lacquer thinner on hand at home, do you think standard paint thinner will suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Heat gun?
    Seems like my hot water experiment is evidence that this won't work, the wax just softens up and flows around, then re-solidifies where it lays.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Drive the car
    I do. But there's no reason to cut a corner on something this simple. Besides, the wax will wear off and end up in tiny balls on the floor, which will get mashed into the carpet, and that's a bigger mess and much harder to clean up.
    Last edited by jawn101; 11-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I'll give that a try. I don't have lacquer thinner on hand at home, do you think standard paint thinner will suffice?
    Don't know, never tried paint thinner. I just know the only thing that worked really well for me when I needed to get my new window channel upper seal rubber COMPLETELY clean, was lacquer thinner. You can get a small can of it for around $6 at any auto parts store or hardware store.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Don't know, never tried paint thinner. I just know the only thing that worked really well for me when I needed to get my new window channel upper seal rubber COMPLETELY clean, was lacquer thinner. You can get a small can of it for around $6 at any auto parts store or hardware store.
    Fair enough, thanks If I can get a small amount I will do so. I just try to limit the number of giant jugs of single use chemicals and crap I have laying around the garage.
    Jon

My VIN:    1768

yeah that is not going to work, lacquer thinner has been deemed a weapon of mass destruction and therefore is illegal in California. why don't you try some wax and grease remover, it's available in the paint department.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    yeah that is not going to work, lacquer thinner has been deemed a weapon of mass destruction and therefore is illegal in California. why don't you try some wax and grease remover, it's available in the paint department.
    Dammit. I like the environment a LOT. But CARB drives me positively up the f@*!ing wall!!

OK, I'll look for that instead... lol
    Jon

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Seriously? This chemical which Dumb American Consumers can buy in large bulk quantities over the counter with no questions asked is not available at all anywhere in Cali?
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Seriously? This chemical which Dumb American Consumers can buy in large bulk quantities over the counter with no questions asked is not available at all anywhere in Cali?
    Yeah, now that Clint mentioned it I remember trying to find it to dissolve my old outer door seals (I put WAY too much 8008 on) and it is absolutely positively not available. I ended up using about 10 hours of elbow grease and a thousand straight razor blades to achieve the same results that 2 oz of thinner and 90 seconds would have gotten me.

http://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fus...n=view&id=3189

"The measure will ban the sale of products—including paint thinner, multi-purpose solvents and air fresheners-- that emit high levels of VOCs. The rules are the toughest state mandate in the nation and will take effect Dec. 31, 2013.

According to California's clean air laws, chemically created products used by homeowners and institutions are consumer products and subject to air pollution regulatory control."
    Last edited by jawn101; 11-16-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Jon

I guess my local Ace didn't get the memo. They have a few containers of lacquer thinner (though it might be a special CA formulation) - but I didn't buy it, as there are warnings on it that make me think it might not be safe for use on rubber. Jim, what do you think? All the other solvents/goo removers had similar warnings about use on rubber.

Come to think of it, it was Naptha I was trying to find for the door seals, not lacquer thinner. This stuff is labeled 30% VOC which I guess must be within the tolerance.
    Last edited by jawn101; 11-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Jon

My VIN:    05141

Funny, I had the same wax on my new accelerator rubber and not on both other ones. I scaped it off, all fine.
    I do not have the DMC logo on them, I kinda like that.

to DMC3031, cool to have such a good looking original Delorean, take good care of her!

Jan
    Last edited by john 05141; 11-19-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Steering with power

My VIN:    10907

Pardon the thread necromancy but I wanted to offer my advice for the next person who has to replace their pads and finds this thread. When I was putting mine on, I found it helpful to use a blunt, hooked tool to stretch them far enough to fit. I used a sturdy hanger-hook, the kind that's looped at the end, like so:24112.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3