FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Buying a Vehicle with no Title

Buying a Vehicle with no Title

http://theftaz.azag.gov/

First, I need to make it clear:

1.- You can own a vehicle but you will never own a vehicle title, the title is owned by the State that issued such title.
    2.- When buying a vehicle, it is always best to receive a title when you purchase a vehicle.

3.- Buying a vehicle with title will not guarantee:

a) The vehicle is not stolen. (still have to see a title that states: This is a stolen vehicle).
    b) The legal owner is selling you this vehicle. (title is easy to fake).
    c) There are not liens on the vehicle. (some states will send the title to the registered owner, regardless of a lien).
    d) The vehicle does not have a salvage title. (some owners have both, a regular title and a salvage title).

When you buy a vehicle, with or without a title, you must do whatever you can to avoid buying a stolen car or to buying a car with a salvage title unless you are aware this is a car with a salvage title, nothing wrong with that if that is what you are paying for.

If the vehicle you are interested in does not have a title, you should know that every state should allow you to secure a title, all states have different rules.

If you find a car that you really like but for whatever reason a title is not available, don't let it go just for that reason, most of the times a vehicle with no title will sell a lot cheaper, sometimes for even few cents on the dollar.

How to buy a vehicle with no title

First, you need to make sure you are buying a vehicle from the legal owner.

a) If the seller claims to be the legal owner but can not provide a title or any other document, or he/she is not the last registered owner, before you give him any money, go to the local DMV office and request the name of the last registered owner, in Texas you have to pay $5.00.
    b) If DMV provides you with the name of the last registered owner and the seller is the last registered owner, then all you have to do is complete the title transfer right there. If the seller is not the registered owner but you really want to buy that car, then complete a Bill of Sale and ask it to be notarized right there at the DMV office. Make sure you include complete seller's name, driver license number, phone number and current address as in his/her driver license. While you there, ask the clerk to do a stolen vehicle check.
    c) Do your own stolen vehicle check here: Stolen Vehicle Search

Apply for a new Title:

If the seller is not the last registered owner, and your DMV provided you with a name and address, then you have to "attempt" to contact the last registered owner by registered mail.

Send the last registered owner a letter, let him know that you bought this vehicle but title was not available from seller, also let him know that said vehicle is still registered under his name, include a completed vehicle transfer form ready to be signed. Also include a stamped return envelope for him/her to reply. Ask him to sign that transfer form and also to send you the title if still in his/her posession. Let him know that he/she have 10 days to answer. Send this letter certified and return to sender if adresse is not found, make sure the postal service do not leave the letter if adresse is not there.

If this letter is returned to you because the adressed no longer lives there, "Do not open this letter", take this letter to your DMV along with an application for title, they need to make sure you attempted to contact the last registered owner, they also want to know what was inside that letter. Every vehicle owner must report change of address within 30 days, so if adresse not longer lives there, it his fault because he did not reported change of address.

Your DMV will give you any other for you need to complete the transfer, you will need pictures and pencil trace of the VIN.

Other little known option:

Bonded Title

Most states, if not all, will allow you to get a Bonded Title for a fee, more information on Texas Bonded Title here:

Texas Bonded Title Procedure

Again, this is for Texas, for other states just google "Your State bonded title"

Enjoy your new vehicle.

LEVY

Note: There are more ways to legaly secure a title, let me know if you need more info.
    Last edited by Tamir A.; 11-14-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added first link
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The bots got him
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3028

Thanks for the info, I'm sure this will prove useful to many.

No problem!

Hope it help people to understand that Iack of title should not be a deterrent. I forgot to include a link but seems like an administrator already added it at the very top.

LEVY

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'm sure this will prove useful to many.
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

If you are buying a vehicle that was titled in Texas, you can also do a title search here: TEXAS DMC TITLE SEARCH

On this website you can search for stolen vehicle as well as for salvage, flood damage etc.

This search is for vehicles last titled in Texas.

Please note that Carfax not always give you all the title info you need, I do have a Burned Delorean with a non-repairable title, according to Carfax there is nothing wrong with this vehicle. I checked this website and yes, it shows my car as a non-repairable vehicle. This is the official Texas DMV website.

LEVY

John Z. De Lorean