FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Original A-Car DeLorean Time Machine Restoration Update!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I give a flying crap.

Considering the magnitude of this restoration, if there is indeed eyebrowing I too would wonder why it hadn't been addressed. Obviously it's not supposed to be there. A project of this size? I'm sure they would address both the BTTF stuff and the DeLorean itself.

That being said, looking at this picture I do not see any eyebrowing. There is a slight dip in the center of the fascia but there does not appear to actually be any eyebrows.

I have to agree with Nick on this - It's just a dip in the center portion of the fascia. From this angle it makes it look like there is eyebrowing but its an optical illusion. How do I know? My car has the same dip. The fact is there were several different molds used for the fascias so there is some variety in the finished pieces. It's not really re-pairable with out grinding it away... That being said, it is original and not a defect so repair is unnecessary.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I have to agree with Nick on this - It's just a dip in the center portion of the fascia. From this angle it makes it look like there is eyebrowing but its an optical illusion. How do I know? My car has the same dip. The fact is there were several different molds used for the fascias so there is some variety in the finished pieces. It's not really re-pairable with out grinding it away... That being said, it is original and not a defect so repair is unnecessary.

Cheers
    Steven
    They must have swapped fascias at some point then because the photo of the A-car from the 80s shows a perfectly straight fascia. Given that this photo is attached to the display, I believe it is the same car. Also, interestingly, the delorean in the photo does not have the same tires.

hi

I wasn't completely sure from reading this thread if you guys were talking about the Time Machine restoration being completed, but they have posted a video and some info on the bttf.com website, see here:

http://www.bttf.com/restored-a-car-.php

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Oh Top Gear, why do you do this.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...red-2013-02-18

"to restore the DMC-12's brushed aluminium body panels"..........

You would think that TG of all people would know what they were talking about
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

I believe the SS ones were swapped out for aluminum ones to help it get up to 88 mph

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Oh Top Gear, why do you do this.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...red-2013-02-18

"to restore the DMC-12's brushed aluminium body panels"..........

Could had been worse and had a picture of a wannabe Toyota Celica Time Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post

TopGear is foremost an entertainment show, secondary motoring show. The last few years it has become more entertainment and less about car reviews. The guys do have a lot of knowledge on cars and experience in driving, however a lot of their information they quote is provided to them by researchers. There has been different times in the show when their presentations have read like a Wikipedia cheat sheet. I like the show and magazine but just don't take everything they say as factual truth.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I was thinking about the A car today as I was reading a DeLorean article. I noticed that there aren't any photos of the engine. I always thought that the A car hard the original PRV motor in it and that the special effects dubbed over engine noises from a Porsche. The article that I read today had someone claiming that they actually swapped in a motor from a different vehicle, which seems like a lot more work than I think they would have done for the movie.

Has anyone seen the motor of the A car or have a reliable source to confirm what engine this car has?
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I was at Universal Hollywood the day before yesterday. It's a PRV. All the cool sounds the Delorean made were added post-production. (My favorite is the door opening sound)
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I was at Universal Hollywood the day before yesterday. It's a PRV. All the cool sounds the Delorean made were added post-production. (My favorite is the door opening sound)
    Mystery solved

The movie crew must have used some slick stuff on the roads in some of the scenes in order to achieve wheel spin in many of the scenes. I've never attempted to do any of the driving stunts that are shown in the movie, but I don't think I could get my rear tires to spin out without some assistance in the form of water or oil on the road!
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast