FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Safety

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I really cannot stand it. Thats why my solution is to get the brightest F*$%ing LED's possible for the brakelights so it is plainly clear when I am braking.

My VIN:    1597

Looks better than the rear end totalled out by someone driving a huge suv while yapping on their phone. Remeber how most of the sheep out there think. If it aint bigger than them, Fk em!

One day you will be at a standtill and hear those tires screeching and all you can do is tighten up and wait for the hit. Been there done that.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 11-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

lighted bumper letters

When I had my rear bumper off I got the idea of putting lights behind the Delorean letters. J.C.Whitney has red neon tubes 18" long. I carved out a slot in the foam, set the tubes in place and tied them into the defrost switch [I never use it]
    so I can turn them on at will. Using my saber saw I carefully cut out the letter shapes from the bumper. Then I siliconed some old red exit plastic to the inside back of the bumper. I also saved the centers of the A, O and E letters and glued them to the out side of the red plastic. It really shines nice!
    I would put some photos up but I don't know how. Maybe somebody has taken some shots and can post. I was at Chicago, Lexington and Gettysburg DCS,s Only one with a Stainless Steel spoiler on back with brake lights in it and red flags.

2691.......Paul Cerny

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I really cannot stand it. Thats why my solution is to get the brightest F*$%ing LED's possible for the brakelights so it is plainly clear when I am braking.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Looks better than the rear end totalled out by someone driving a huge suv while yapping on their phone. Remeber how most of the sheep out there think. If it aint bigger than them, Fk em!

One day you will be at a standtill and hear those tires screeching and all you can do is tighten up and wait for the hit. Been there done that.
    If I'm at a standstill and hear tires screaching, I dont think a light is going to help me. I still believe you will be far more successful at getting people's attention with comically bright LED's than a third light on the louvres.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    When I had my rear bumper off I got the idea of putting lights behind the Delorean letters. J.C.Whitney has red neon tubes 18" long. I carved out a slot in the foam, set the tubes in place and tied them into the defrost switch [I never use it]
    so I can turn them on at will. Using my saber saw I carefully cut out the letter shapes from the bumper. Then I siliconed some old red exit plastic to the inside back of the bumper. I also saved the centers of the A, O and E letters and glued them to the out side of the red plastic. It really shines nice!
    I would put some photos up but I don't know how. Maybe somebody has taken some shots and can post. I was at Chicago, Lexington and Gettysburg DCS,s Only one with a Stainless Steel spoiler on back with brake lights in it and red flags.

2691.......Paul Cerny

Is this you?

Also I remember that spoiler, it was huge. How heavy is that thing? Is it bolted to the fiber glass?

Well if you are ready to shoot someone who has a third brake light then a guy who has a neon D E L O R E A N hacked bumper,ricer exhaust and a spoiler really ought to have ready to slaughter a village.

Or maybe not?
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 11-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Well if you are ready to shoot someone who has a third brake light then a guy who has a neon D E L O R E A N hacked bumper,ricer exhaust and a spoiler really ought to have ready to slaughter a village.

Or maybe not?

Calm down man. Did I personally offend you or something? I have no qualm's with what other people do to their car. How could I possibly justify that? I ripped my original engine out; I'm about as non stock as they come. I'm merely stating that I do not like the look of the third brake light on the louvres. The Big Lebowski meme was simply a joke; it's an internet thing. Here's 118 pages with 1642 Big Lebowski memes for you to get mad at: http://www.quickmeme.com/Big-Lebowski/?upcoming

Also, where did you gather that I did not like lighted DeLorean bumper? I actually think it's pretty cool. Also I said nothing aboug hacked bumpers and "ricer" parts. That's just uncool.

And I'm still curious about the spoiler. I'm considering a spoiler myself and looking to gather info. I'm not thinking of something so large; probably just a lip spoiler similar to the one on the D-Lotus, but I still need to figure out how to mount it.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 11-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Its all good.

I was driving my fathers new Delorean in 1982 and bought my own 5 or so years ago. I must of ran up thousands of post on the old and original Dmctalk. Probably 99% of em were pleas for help and complaining. I have not posted in a long time till this morning some pmed me for some info. Since I was logged in and felt like typing I figured what the hell. I see a reply with of a big picture with a guy with a gun so I bit hahhaha. This why I dont post often cuz I come across as being a azzhole or everyone else is a azzhole. Can I say asshole?
    So what I am trying to say till my meds kick in I am a little rough around the edges. I do feel a little like a dickhead though. I thought that pic of the modded Delorean was one of those internet stock photos someone found and not from the actual owner. I am not a purist but admit external customization just make me a little ill. I often laughed that if I could lift the body off and put it on a modern chassis I would do it in a heartbeat. Just do not muck stick and bolt crap to it.
    So to that poster, sorry man but not my thing but march to your own drummer and spend your dough the way you want. And to you, its all good. You seem like a cool guy and with your post count been around enough to know this aint no fight.
    I plan to try and visit more often and maybe attend some meets. Ok, Ive derailed the hell out of this thread enuff so back to uummmmm, oh yeah safety. Which in a Delorean is like a lesson in boating aboard the Titanic.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

lighted bumper letters

Yes that is my car. The "spoiler" weighs 37 lbs and is bolted to a subframe under the louvers. The louver was badly cracked and I didn't think I had anything to lose. This was done way before any louver rib reinforcement was available. Putting 48" of brake lights in the edge adds greatly to safety. The two red flags was an early attempt of CB antennas. The flags don't last long on trips [on my fifth set] but it makes it easy to find your car in parking lots and group photos. Thanks for posting photos Nick.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Safer in the sense that you have greater control of the car, particularly at the moment you're changing from first to second, or maneuvering in reverse in a busy parking lot. I think needing to have two hands on the wheel or not being able turn your body fully to get the best view does increase the likelihood of an undesirable outcome.
    As far as good driving is concern, power-steering would not matter. Also the D being one of the few car out there not having power-steering_I can personnally appreciate that, a lot. It is one of the most desirable feature that most of the "real driver" would want of their car. It's really get you to feel the road and you really can not have this kind of direct bond with the road with car these days... though I will gladly love to have a smaller turn radius on the D.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast