FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety

My VIN:    03572

Safety

I had posted a comment about making changes to make the car safer (reduce chance of accident). But further thought:

1) Install the wide angle side mirrors.
    2) Install the high mounted third brake light
    3) Use LEDs for all the brake lights.
    4) Get the front side running flashing with turn signal lights.
    5) Get the rear side running flashing with turn signal lights
    6) Use LEDs on your flashing side running lights.

I have done everything except getting the rear side running lights flashing. Never thought about getting the rears done because most cars don't do it, but it may buy you that warning if your passing a car in your blind spot.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6313

How about...

- auto-dimming mirror (I've fitted this but car is mid-refit and it isn't tested yet)
    - rear-view camera
    - proximity detectors
    - map light

(major work...)
    - power steering

(and for the future...)
    - blind spot detection
    - adaptive headlights (link to steering)
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    How about...

- auto-dimming mirror (I've fitted this but car is mid-refit and it isn't tested yet)
    - rear-view camera
    - proximity detectors
    - map light

(major work...)
    - power steering

(and for the future...)
    - blind spot detection
    - adaptive headlights (link to steering)
    Cool ideas. I have an auto-dimming mirror somewhere but would fear the added weight might damage the windshield.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3937

Neat idea Dave.

Your list is primarily changes to help you "avoid" an accident by way of letting you see other cars better, or letting other drivers see you better.

How about changes to the car to make "it" safer?

I was thinking of course some like:

- Front end recall kit (including stiffing brackets and castle nuts and cotter pins)
    - Deice shield and throttle spool clips kit

I recall Dave T quite a while ago said you never want to voluntarily hammer the brakes taking a corner. I countered with "yay, but what happens when you have to do that?" Is there anything that can be done to the car (or your driving tendancies) to help this back end flying around bit?

- Keep proper air pressure in the tires, not to mention good tread depth and condition

Does anything to do with lowering the car help performance or the car's ability to stay in a straight line or on level ground in an emergency?

Swapping out the original plastic coolant bottle with a metal one could be seen as a safety upgrade (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Or perhaps some interior safety advice like not keeping heavy loose things in the cabin that could fly around in an emergency and konk you in the head (fire extinguisher or flux capacitor for example).

Of the talk we all see with TAB's, either a visual check or change-out could be put on the safety list.

Are there any other ways the cars themselves are prone to failure, and leading to an accident? I think TAB failures come to mind first. Any others? Was it Owen that had one of the lower control arms snap on him? Could something there be improved or checked regularily? What about fires? And advice with fuel lines or fuse/relay area components? Actually, come to think of it, I don't often hear of too many cars where the car was the cause of the accident and not the driver or another driver. That's probably a good thing.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I'll have to agree that having good TABs is about the most important. I guess you could classify a lot of things to add to safety. A cell phone jammer is one that comes to mind. I was thinking of upgrades that one could consider making.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    A cell phone jammer is one that comes to mind.
    That is honestly one of the worst things you could do. A phone call distracting enough for a driver. Making them then fight with their phone trying to either figure out what happened or even redialing is no longer a distraction but would have them focus their entire attention on their mobile device by abandoning the road completely. A moment of smugness could cost someone else their life. That includes you.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    How about...
    (major work...)
    - power steering
    DMC Europe now sells a kit for this, though I dont see how it makes the car any safer.
    http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...19c2aa420ddfd4

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    DMC Europe now sells a kit for this, though I dont see how it makes the car any safer.
    Safer in the sense that you have greater control of the car, particularly at the moment you're changing from first to second, or maneuvering in reverse in a busy parking lot. I think needing to have two hands on the wheel or not being able turn your body fully to get the best view does increase the likelihood of an undesirable outcome.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

How about an ABS braking system? I just don't see anyone offering this as a kit since it would invite so many law suits.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    05141

I have almost all the safetips from dave at his fist post.
    Just one remark, the side lights in my case are regular bulps as LED does not seem to be as visible. Or am I wrong here?
    I have the powersteering, I do not think it is any safety issue, just more comfortable.
    The side lights are not legal in Belgium. So for its yearly inspection I have to cover them in black tape.

A rear view camera is good tough, it is already hard to see what is behind the car. I am considering that.

Jan

Steering with power

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast