FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

My VIN:    06357

Choices of speakers

Hi !
    I just bought a new radio unit, and I'm installing it today.

Next step will be the speakers in week or 2 !

For the front 3.5'' I have these choices:
    1- JBL GTO328
    2- Kicker KS35
    3- Pioneer TS-A878

As for the rear 4 x 10:
    1- Pioneer TS-A4103
    2- Kicker KS-410

I havent seen anything else in 4x10 sizes.

They all seem to be in the same price range and watts.Just wondering wich is a better quality.

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

def. get the JBL's for the front
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    11594, 17104, 16890, 6762, 6155, 16654, 6074, 2136, 4266

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by googoofan5 View Post
    def. get the JBL's for the front

Agreed, I have the JBL's for the front and they work well.
    Justin

Wells Auto

'82 DeLorean DMC-12 11594
    '83 DeLorean DMC-12 17104 (CDN Spec)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

While I agree the JBLs are probably a better speaker, my inclination woul be towards voice matching. The problem with buying the JBLs is figuring out what to match them with for the rears. By sticking with the same manufacturer, and in this case same model line (the TS series from Pioneer), you have some assurance that the manufacturer intended the speakers to work together to create a more complete sound field.

On a side note, and I cannot say for certain as I've never physically seen them, the Pioneer tweeter may have a center driver that sticks above the mounting flange. Could be an issue for insatll.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I have Boston fronts and they're OK but I have yet to replace my rears which are original and blown. I'm going to order the front and rear set of Pioneers from Amazon. I'll let you know how it works out.

Steve

Only A Gibson Is Good Enough DeLorean937's Avatar

My VIN:    5712 - Ace Frehley's DMC

Club(s):   (DCF)

Just installed the Kicker 4x10's in the rear, and for the size speaker they are, they actually sound awesome. Nice kick and bass. Plus it drowns out the engine noise quite nicely. Which are these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...x10&cp=1&lp=15

In the front's I did Kicker 3.5", also amazing sound.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...%20&cp=1&lp=11

And for the deck, I chose Alpine with Pandora Sync. so everytime that I get in the car, the radio automatically syncs up to Pandora. Has USB connectivity, IPOD, AUX Input, CD

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...adio&cp=1&lp=4

My VIN:    06357

MY deck is a Pioneer DEH-7300 BT (bluetooth). sounds great even with the old Craig speakers !!!

How about the Infinity 3032CF for the front ? any good ? cost about the same as the JBL !

Right now, I' think I'm gonna go with either this setup:

front: JBL GTO328
    rear: Kicker KS-410

or a complete Pioneer set front: TS-A878 & rear TS-A4103

Any more info on each speakers is appreciated before I finally order in 2-3 days !!!!
    Last edited by MartyP; 06-26-2011 at 09:50 PM.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I can whole heartedly recommend the Infinity kappa 329CF

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-329CF.../dp/B0018SJ4AK

for the front.

I expect more from the rears, and nothing yet has made me really happy. The best I have tried so far is the Pyramid

http://www.amazon.com/PYRAMID-4108GS.../dp/B00069QULS

Thats not saying much - I'm not all that happy.. That said I did an experiment last week while the interior was gutted... I went out and bought Alpine SPS 517 6X9 speakers. Most any 6X9 will fit if you modify the mounting bracket a bit. The alpine seemed like a good choice, and it fit. But with one installed I panned left and right on just the rears, and thy sounded no better than the pyramids. Since I own the pyramids I returned the alpines for a refund.

Probably the problem is the chinese head unit - its an all in one with all the bells and whistles, but its not a high quality receiver, but the fronts sounded better than either of the larger rears. All speakers have #14 speaker wire BTW)

That all said, with a little modification to the mounting bracket you can install just about any speaker up to 5.25" wide. If I try again with the rears I'm going to go for the larger Infinitys - which I'm 99% sure will fit fine and are VERY highly rated. You can find them here

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-529I-.../dp/B00190Z7Z8

I'd be thrilled at this point if someone tries out these 5.25 infinity speakers and lets me know if they are happy. I'll tell you the matching fronts sound great.

Tom
    Last edited by TTait; 06-29-2011 at 01:43 AM.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyP View Post
    MY deck is a Pioneer DEH-7300 BT (bluetooth). sounds great even with the old Craig speakers !!!

How about the Infinity 3032CF for the front ? any good ? cost about the same as the JBL !

Right now, I' think I'm gonna go with either this setup:

front: JBL GTO328
    rear: Kicker KS-410

or a complete Pioneer set front: TS-A878 & rear TS-A4103

Any more info on each speakers is appreciated before I finally order in 2-3 days !!!!
    BTW... This place has the Pioneers for less than Amazon and free shipping though I've never bought from them so I can't personally recomend them.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Damn this thread! I had resigned myself to live with the Pyramids per above, but I just went ahead and ordered the Infinity 5.25" units. I'll let you all know within the week how they sound.

Shouldn't be spending the $ right now... but you guys twisted my arm.

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I can whole heartedly recommend the Infinity kappa 329CF

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-329CF.../dp/B0018SJ4AK

for the front.

Tom

+1 on this, they the best speakers available for the front of the D. We have them installed on our car and they are incredible.

Keep in mind, 4x10's have almost no bass, so in order to get a pretty decent sounding system in the D, you'll have to install some sort of sub to really get it going. There are tons of options out there for this, just depends on how much you want to spend really.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast