FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

My VIN:    4941

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Much appreciated! Why must every tiny procedure on a Delorean be a living Hell?

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

So that you get a real sense of accomplishment?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I recently replaced my fronts with Kenwood 835's they fit right in. As for installation..I did the old fashioned way (forgot all about the standoffs) and it was a pain...I'd suggest pulling the front seats out, you'll make life easier that way.
    How do they sound? Better than Craigs?

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I couldnt say...all my speakers were rather ripped n crunchy when I got the car, so I never really heard them. I think they sound pretty good..I dont have any kind of amp or equalizer, just a cd/radio thing.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I couldnt say...all my speakers were rather ripped n crunchy when I got the car, so I never really heard them. I think they sound pretty good..I dont have any kind of amp or equalizer, just a cd/radio thing.
    ok Thanks

BTW Would anyone like to sell a good, factory Craig front 3.5? I don't mind the way they sound...

My VIN:    1139

The JBL GTO 329 fits great with standoffs and the sound is fantastic (on the right)

Here the comparison to Kicker speakers (on the left)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by baeckerbursch; 01-06-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baeckerbursch View Post
    The JBL GTO 329 fits great with standoffs and the sound is fantastic (on the right)

Here the comparison to Kicker speakers (on the left)
    Bought GTOs and standoffs. I have a bunch of extra standoffs. Free to whoever needs some. PM me and send me a SASE.

Update on the JBL GTOs. They are designed horribly. The tweeter sticks out past the circular mounting flange. Therefore, you cannot get a flush fit. Terrible engineering! The flange needs to be approx. 1/4 inch taller. So annoying....Why would they do that ???

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    ... The flange needs to be approx. 1/4 inch taller. ...
    You could get lucky and find a tube that fits over the existing flange to extend it (think supplement bottle, cardboard tube, or similar) . But that could take a while to find something suitable. A alternative is to cut strips of white posterboard (or cereal box ) as wide as you need to clear the dome and as long as needed to wrap around the existing flange (Circumference is 2*Pi*R or Pi*D). Then wrap and glue the strips around the existing cone. Repeat adding strips until you have sufficient buildup that it will work as a flange to hold the dome away from the dash (Probably between an 1/8 and 1/4" thick buildup).

You could guess at how many wraps are needed to get the buildup needed and cut one long strip with as many turns as needed. So if you need 4 wraps, the equation would be 8*pi*R or 25*R. The length does not need to be precise, the equation is used to get you in the ballpark.

It is a putzy process but not hard. White glue will work. You'll need something to hold the wrap to shape while drying...maybe a rubber band or two will work. Cover the dome and exiting flange with wax paper to avoid getting glue on the speaker parts and remove when done.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast