FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Whatever you do, I highly recommend: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?81...ment-made-easy

It makes putting in the fronts , dare I say, "easy".

Put short standoff in first. At a min, use an anaerobic thread locker such as Loctite blue. Rings may also be installed as a spacer but you'll still need short standoffs to extend the original studs. To make a ring, glue layers of heavier paper, posterboard or even cereal box int the right size ring. If you have a form (maybe the right size bottle, jar or similar is in the recycling) it will be easier. Then use the long standoffs to install the speaker.

The trouble with the original design is that most can't get more than one hand into the area making it difficult to hold and install the nut. The speaker magnets don't make it any easier since they draw any tool and/or the nut. With the long standoffs you gain some ability to have both hands or it makes it easier to use one hand.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I am looking and for the fronts I am thinking of these...

Pioneer TS878
    Kenwood KFC-835

Anyone have experience with these? Do they stick up and hit the dash?

The rear Im going with

Pioneer TSA4103
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I am looking and for the fronts I am thinking of these...

Pioneer TS878
    Kenwood KFC-835

Anyone have experience with these? Do they stick up and hit the dash?

The rear Im going with

Pioneer TSA4103
    I just installed that exact set of Pioneer speakers: TS-A878 and TS-A4103. The back ones fit perfectly, the front ones not so much. The center cone on the front does stick up and will not mount without some modification. I didn't want to try to extend the mounting bolts, so I just turned the speakers about 90ยบ and screwed them right into the fiberglass (drilled pilot holes first). Works fine for me.

Thanks. I tried to find good pictures of them and they looked flat....Guess I may go with the Kenwood, unless I can find ones that actually are flat...goofy way to mount speakers...lol.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5470

I recently installed Kicker 3.5"s up front. Love the way they sound, but yes, the center cone sticks up a bit making the install a bit tricky. Photos to illustrate. Mind you, I have grilles over my stock locations so any change to the dash can't be seen.

20170408_221653.jpg 20170331_230206.jpg

I ordered Kenwood KFC-835c's for the front and 415c's for the rear. I've thought about putting grilles over the front locations, but wasnt sure where you find them without speakers..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4941

speaking of speakers

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone in the community can recommend a good set of front speakers that will fit a factory dash without modification.
    I am running the factory craig radio, and I just want to buy the best sounding direct fit speaker available. I don't want to drill holes in the dash.....I don't want to get a back ache playing with hardware...
    I just want to unbolt the 3.5 craigs, and bolt a new set back in!
    Thanks
    Charlie

My VIN:    6248

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    I don't want to get a back ache playing with hardware...
    Unfortunately this part is unavoidable no matter what hardware/speakers you choose.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

From above:

Whatever you do, I highly recommend: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?81...ment-made-easy

It makes putting in the fronts , dare I say, "easy".
    The main hassle with replacing the fronts is getting tools, speakers, fingers, washers and nuts all in place while you are cramped under the dash. This is aggravated by the magnets sucking up tools and parts. If you use the 3"ish standoffs as described in the post, no tools required, your hands are far enough back to do the job and many if not most standoffs are not attracted to magnets.

Do one the old fashioned way and do the other with standoffs and you'll NEVER do it the old fashioned way again. You might (and I emphasize MIGHT) be able to do the install without going under the dash if your arms are long enough.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

I recently replaced my fronts with Kenwood 835's they fit right in. As for installation..I did the old fashioned way (forgot all about the standoffs) and it was a pain...I'd suggest pulling the front seats out, you'll make life easier that way.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast