FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

My VIN:    1968

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

OK! They're in and wired with new 14GA wire. I also wired the new radio and everything works fine!

Not much bass, though. I hope that improves when I put the panels back in.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Probably won't, sadly... but that's why there's a perfect little compartment behind the driver's seat for a subwoofer!

Congrats on the new system!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post
    Rear speakers need to have the panels reinstalled if you want to hear what they sound like properly.

The A/B test of Pyramid 4 X10 vs Alpine 6 X 9 is not valid unless you reinstalled the panels.

For a speaker to have any low frequency response, the font of the speaker must be isolated from the rear of the speaker. The entire concept of how the speaker works is by small changes in air pressure. If the front and back are in the same "air space" then it will sound like crap, no matter the size or quality of the speaker.

In the DMC, the cover panel is what controls the air between the front and back of the speaker. For better sound, add some weather strip foam around the speaker to get a better seal against the panel.
    I was re-reading all the posts in the thread, and Malevy's comment above says what I'm talking about as well. I will see if I can figure out how to close the air space around the speakers. My existing 4x10s had some insulation around the front edge (maybe added by the PO?). That won't work in this case because the lip is so small.

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Probably won't, sadly... but that's why there's a perfect little compartment behind the driver's seat for a subwoofer!

Congrats on the new system!
    Thank you!

At this point I don't want to spend more money on it. May be a future project. I actually hardly ever listen to the radio, I mostly wanted to get rid of the old Kraco radio I had there :-)

Well, in my quest to provide better separation between the back and the front of the speakers, this is what I did:
    I took the mounting rings for the grille that came with the speakers and cut the bottom edge flush with the carpet, since the speaker sits on the carpet. I then attached the ring to the speaker with 4 machine screws and nuts. I put it backwards so I could have a flat surface in the front:
    DSCN7138s.jpg
    Since the speaker sits on an angle compared to the panel, I will get some foam insulation and glue it to the front of this ring to provide a seal.
    For the panels, I had some black foam core, and I cut a triangle to fit the shape of the panel, and then cut a circle for the speaker. I glued the foam core to the panel so that it covers the holes:
    DSCN7140s.jpgDSCN7142s.jpg

Hopefully, this will help! I won't know until I am able to put it all back together. Of course, this is not a prefect seal, since we have the hole for the seat belt right next to it. But at least I feel I tried :-)

Meanwhile, I found a "present" from the PO: The driver side armrest piece that is attached to the panel was shattered, and screwed back in. Since this is no longer available, I will see about repairing it somehow. The vinyl had a tear and it always looked awry, so now I know why.

Another question - Has anyone tried to mount the speakers below the dashboard, facing toward the seats, instead of the original location?

I am getting my dashboard re-covered, and am concerned about how to make the speaker holes/area look nice. I have not had much luck finding a speaker grille for the 3 1/2" speakers.

So one option would be to cover the holes altogether and mount the speakers below the dash. My dash is taken apart right now, and I don't remember if there was much room down there to make a bracket.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aludden View Post
    Another question - Has anyone tried to mount the speakers below the dashboard, facing toward the seats, instead of the original location?
    No, but I have custom built boxes in the "indentation" of the foot well that help to provide a much more full sound without traveling thru the holes of the dash and rear panels. Both of my DeLoreans have a 7 speaker system utilizing the stock speaker locations, footwell speakers, and a sub box on the parcel shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    No, but I have custom built boxes in the "indentation" of the foot well that help to provide a much more full sound without traveling thru the holes of the dash and rear panels. Both of my DeLoreans have a 7 speaker system utilizing the stock speaker locations, footwell speakers, and a sub box on the parcel shelf.
    Wow! That sounds cool! Would you have a picture of where in the footwell they go?

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Quote Originally Posted by aludden View Post
    Wow! That sounds cool! Would you have a picture of where in the footwell they go?
    Yes, but it will have to wait until tonight. Using work computer now and all my pics are at home on a different computer.

Footwell speakers......and sub-box on parcel shelf.
    Attached Images

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast