FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I can't wait to hear David P's setup with the round speakers in the back. I'm starting to wish I had gone round instead of oval when I did mine (the thought didn't even cross my mind, and I just ordered and installed direct size matches for OEM). With my subwoofer installed I'm having a hell of a time finding a good balance between reasonable bass at low volumes and being just overwhelming when loud. There's no shortage of power or bass, but getting the right amount at the right time is proving to be a challenge.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I can't wait to hear David P's setup with the round speakers in the back. I'm starting to wish I had gone round instead of oval when I did mine (the thought didn't even cross my mind, and I just ordered and installed direct size matches for OEM). With my subwoofer installed I'm having a hell of a time finding a good balance between reasonable bass at low volumes and being just overwhelming when loud. There's no shortage of power or bass, but getting the right amount at the right time is proving to be a challenge.
    While I am very happy with the speakers, it isn't directly comparable to your setup since I am powering them with the Craig, and my cleanest input signal is coming from an FM modulator. A new head unit or even soldering in a AUX input would clean things up more. Still haven't ordered the amp, I have a sub that currently isn't powered so I need one, but would like to get your opinion on it after hearing what I have today.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'm about half way through my setup. My tweeters are mounted in the factory front location in the dash, and the mids would be good to go too if I wasn't still waiting on DMC-CA to send me their kick panel enclosures for the front, its been about 3 weeks now I think. Then we can begin building the custom amp rack and sub enclosure on the rear parcel shelf, very excited for that.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Do you have HPFs on your ovals and an LPF on your sub? This makes a big difference.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
    Do you have HPFs on your ovals and an LPF on your sub? This makes a big difference.
    Yep, sure do. There'd be no way to get decent sound at all without that The problem is that the filters do make sure all the low frequency signals do go to the sub, but the variable sensitivity and filters directly on the amp are tricky. I did a full set of calibrations with an inline spectrum analyzer, voltmeter and fixed frequency/sweeping test tones and dialed it in as best I could, but striking that balance between response at low volumes and distortion at high ones is tough with the 4 main speakers producing absolutely 0 bass. If there was something - anything - coming from those rears, I could lower the sensitivity on the sub and the problem would be more or less solved.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm starting to wish I had gone round instead of oval when I did mine (the thought didn't even cross my mind, and I just ordered and installed direct size matches for OEM).
    Oh, just noticed this part. Yup, you're going to have a hard time with 4x10s in the stock location. I snipped the wires on mine and never gave them another thought.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

I'm doing a preliminary functionality test on the amp since I doubt it has been used for some time and it's snowing hard outside right now. I have it wired into my home theater setup and am using my telescope's battery pack to power it. Hell I'm half tempted to use it as my house amp as it sounds great.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Oh and secondary Q, would a capacitor be advisable? My alternator pushes 130-150W (not sure exactly, its a delco) and my battery is overspec also but with the amp pushing 100wx4 I dunno if it will put a strain on the electrical system when in use. I'll also have a secondary subwoofer amp pushing the 8" sub.

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    would a capacitor be advisable?
    There's no simple yes/no answer. The need for a capacitor depends on the condition of your electrical and ignition systems. It also depends on the length of the power supply leads to the amp. The further away from the battery it is the grater the chances of noise being introduced from other electrical components of the car. The battery acts as a smoothing filter/capacitor so it's a good idea to use short thick wires to power the amp.
    Condition of the alternator and battery plays a major role here.

My alternator pushes 130-150W (not sure exactly, its a delco) and my battery is overspec also but with the amp pushing 100wx4 I dunno if it will put a strain on the electrical system when in use. I'll also have a secondary subwoofer amp pushing the 8" sub.
    I believe you mean the alternator pushes 130-150A as in amps. If you have a stock setup with this alternator getting anything more than about 110-120A would be a LOT! Single V belt can't really transfer this much power to the alternator without starting to slip. I did some experimenting on this subject and at about 110A the tension required on the belt to keep it from slipping is so great that it's at the limit of what the belt can take. So, it will either slip or snap. That's why high power alternators use multi-groove belts. Anyway...
    100W pushed into 4 ohm speaker comes to 5A. With all four channels coming up to 20A. Keep in mind that music is never at constant max power. Depending on the type of music that you like and volume level at which you will listen to it I would say that 5A average power would be a fair guess (and deafening). With everything else, all losses in the power supply and everything else and to play it safe, you can think of it as a maximum 10A average load. Even if your alternator puts out 110-120A you will be perfectly fine.
    I'm not familiar with this amp but is it a true 400W unit? If it is then you have nothing to worry about if your electrical system is in good working order.

PS. Damn, I'm turning into a real nerd
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    10904

Actually there is a simple answer, and that answer is no.

http://fatfist.hubpages.com/hub/Car-...They-DONT-Work

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast