FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Update... I got one of the rear speakers in. It's a tight squeeze but seems ok.

The fronts are another matter. Gonna have to think about how.
    Hey Steve,

could you post a pic or two of the problems with the fronts?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Hey Steve,

could you post a pic or two of the problems with the fronts?
    The first pic is the Boston speaker I had originally installed to replace the factory ones.
    photo 1.jpg

These are the new Infinity - Note the flange that makes up the difference for the cwnter tweeter. It moves the mounting tabs too far from the face to grab the existing screw studs in the dash.
    photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

The speaker will not sit flush against the dash pad. The only work around I can see is to dirll pilot holes in the fiberglass and mount the speakers lower so they are not flush. I can take pics of that if needed but it's pretty obvious if you get under there with a flashlight.

Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Ah, I see what you mean.

Keep us posted. looks like I'll have to figure it out too.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

The only difference I can imagine is that I have a DMCH reproduction dash installed. The speakers are a bit taller, but we put on a nut and then a washer onto the stud and ran them most or all of the way up, then the speaker, a washer, and the bottom nut.

I didn't actually install them as its cramped - I made my 12 year old daughter crawl under the steering wheel laying on her back and I instructed her as to what to do - the first one took her about 10 minutes and the second one 5.

Didn't meant to lead you astray - is the problem that the studs are too short, or that they ate not spaced properly?

The old speaker I had in there were in for the original dash, then they went in again for the new one, so I didn't notice any difference there.

Photos attachedIMAG0077.jpgIMAG0071.jpg

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

If I recall correctly, the reproduction dashes had the studs made longer as to allow speakers with the tweeters and lip to fit at the suggestion of a DMA member when the dashes were first shown at an event.

I think this is why myself, and other people with the tweeter lip around the top of the speaker have no problems with the fit on the reproduction dash.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Is that stud 4mm or 5mm, anyone recall?

You can get a coupling nut and another bolt to do the job. I have a local place near me (Metric Specialties) that stocks them in 5mm. I can run over and pick a few up and send them out to you if your local hardware store can't get them...

Tom
    Last edited by TTait; 07-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Is that stud 4mm or 5mm, anyone recall?

You can get a coupling nut and another bolt to do the job. I have a local place near me (Metric Specialties) that stocks them in 5mm. I can run over and pick a few up and send them out to you if your local hardware store can't get them...

Tom
    That's awesome, Tom. The existing stud is too short. Funnily enough, I have a repro dash pad sitting up on a shelf that I got from the previoous owner when I got the car. I have been holding off installing it because I'm wating for the binacles to go into production. (fingers crossed) Don't want to tear that apart twice if I can help it.

Are coupling nuts common? Not sure where I would go around here for something like that. I'm sure the home improvement stores would be a bust.

Don't haassle yourself picking up the coupling nuts. I'm sure I can find them on the internet and that will work until I install the new dash pad. If I can't find em, I might take you up on the offer later.

BTW, I don't feel misled... I managed to get the rears in just fine like you said and the front was a hiccup you couldn't have forseen.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Common yes, but not too common as M4 metric.

I image your local ace hardware can order it (home depot and lowes often bite at this sort of thing). Metric specialties doesn't stock it as an M4.

I did a quick google search and you can buy 25 for 6 bucks, but thats more than you'd need.

Someone with some cash to spend might buy the bag of 25 and market them with a kit of speakers - you will really like them when you hear them.

The last option might be to make your own - put some generous anti sieze on a m4 bolt and then put 4 nuts on it - epoxy or tack weld them together and spin them off.

Sorry about the boondoggle, but it will be worth it when you turn all 4 speakers on...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Common yes, but not too common as M4 metric.

I image your local ace hardware can order it (home depot and lowes often bite at this sort of thing). Metric specialties doesn't stock it as an M4.

I did a quick google search and you can buy 25 for 6 bucks, but thats more than you'd need.

Someone with some cash to spend might buy the bag of 25 and market them with a kit of speakers - you will really like them when you hear them.

The last option might be to make your own - put some generous anti sieze on a m4 bolt and then put 4 nuts on it - epoxy or tack weld them together and spin them off.

Sorry about the boondoggle, but it will be worth it when you turn all 4 speakers on...

Tom
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the idea of epoxying some bolts together as a temporary but immediate fix. I'm impatient so it would be quick and do the job until I install the new dashpad.

By the way... Looks like its an M4.

Steve
    Last edited by mluder; 07-13-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by googoofan5 View Post
    If I recall correctly, the reproduction dashes had the studs made longer as to allow speakers with the tweeters and lip to fit at the suggestion of a DMA member when the dashes were first shown at an event.
    You're welcome (I suggest this to James when they were making the new dashboards).

When I did this install, I ordered from Mcmaster-carr. Got some barrel nuts/binding posts and cut a slot in it with a dremmel. Worked perfect.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast