FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

My VIN:    1505

Thank you Dave, your the knowledge base as always!

Jay

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

With the Infinity Kappa 32.9 nearly impossible to find these days, I decided to go with the Infinity 3032CF in the front, as I'd still prefer to stick with Infinity to match the rears than go with Kickers, etc.

Initially installation was tough, the speaker fits fine but its hard to get the nuts started as with all other speakers. I took a deep wall socket, a bolt, and two nuts and solved the installation access problem. I threaded one nut onto the bolt and dropped it, bolt head up, into the socket. The bottom of the longish bolt dropped out of the bottom opening of the socket where the square drive usually goes, and the nut threaded onto it provides a bottom stop within the body of the socket. I adjusted the nut position on the bolt until the bolt head sits just deep enough down into the socket to allow the second nut to sit up on top of it, inside the socket but at the very top. It was then very easy to reach in holding the socket in my fingers and start the nut onto the stud, once it started the battle is won.

FWIW I do a similar technique when installing the lower door covers - getting those two screws into the door handles is a PITA - so in that case I use a bolt instead of the screwdriver. to get it in easily I drop a few nuts into a socket to space the bolt up to the height I want it inside the socket, and then take masking tape, pop a small hole in the center and put it over the exposed bolt shaft, and then wrap it around the body of the socket. Because I use nuts here instead of a bolt, I can use a screwdriver or extension in that case if needed. Once the bolt is tight the tape breaks away and the tool can be removed. BTW - I do this with the door open, so the remaining spacer nuts inside the socket do not fall out when retracting the tool.

But I digress - this is a speaker thread.

So now that they are installed - the Infinity 3032CF sounds very good. In theory the Kappa would be a better match, but its still a quality product. My only complaint is that the Kappa has the externally mounted crossover with screw down terminals that I find superior to traditional terminals found on the 3032.

I've installed all new #14 speaker wire throughout so the original wires and terminals are not a consideration in my installation. For reference I have a new Kenwood head unit driving the 4 main speakers and a 10" sub on the cubby door with a mono amp driving it to fill in just a bit of the low end. I'm not listening to hip hop with the windows rattling, but I have nice smooth clean response all the way up, and am happy.

If you want all Infinity speakers, the 52.9 Kappa in the back and the 3032CF in the front is a very good combination, and with any luck the fronts may go in a little easier with that socket tip!

Tom

My VIN:    4519

Anybody have advice on the Infinity Reference 6832cf?

I found a nice price on a pair for sale, but not sure if it's a good choice.

My VIN:    10309

That's what I have in mine but it required some modification for a fit so they wouldn't move around. Just make sure you tighten the screws holding them in. They have great sound. I got mine from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    That's what I have in mine but it required some modification for a fit so they wouldn't move around. Just make sure you tighten the screws holding them in. They have great sound. I got mine from Amazon.
    Thanks!

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Anybody have advice on the Infinity Reference 6832cf?

I found a nice price on a pair for sale, but not sure if it's a good choice.
    Where did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    Where did you find it?

A few pairs for sale [locally] on Craigslist. I don't want to modify them to fit, so they're not what I'm looking for.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    With the Infinity Kappa 32.9 nearly impossible to find these days, I decided to go with the Infinity 3032CF in the front, as I'd still prefer to stick with Infinity to match the rears than go with Kickers, etc.

Initially installation was tough, the speaker fits fine but its hard to get the nuts started as with all other speakers. I took a deep wall socket, a bolt, and two nuts and solved the installation access problem. I threaded one nut onto the bolt and dropped it, bolt head up, into the socket. The bottom of the longish bolt dropped out of the bottom opening of the socket where the square drive usually goes, and the nut threaded onto it provides a bottom stop within the body of the socket. I adjusted the nut position on the bolt until the bolt head sits just deep enough down into the socket to allow the second nut to sit up on top of it, inside the socket but at the very top. It was then very easy to reach in holding the socket in my fingers and start the nut onto the stud, once it started the battle is won.

FWIW I do a similar technique when installing the lower door covers - getting those two screws into the door handles is a PITA - so in that case I use a bolt instead of the screwdriver. to get it in easily I drop a few nuts into a socket to space the bolt up to the height I want it inside the socket, and then take masking tape, pop a small hole in the center and put it over the exposed bolt shaft, and then wrap it around the body of the socket. Because I use nuts here instead of a bolt, I can use a screwdriver or extension in that case if needed. Once the bolt is tight the tape breaks away and the tool can be removed. BTW - I do this with the door open, so the remaining spacer nuts inside the socket do not fall out when retracting the tool.

But I digress - this is a speaker thread.

So now that they are installed - the Infinity 3032CF sounds very good. In theory the Kappa would be a better match, but its still a quality product. My only complaint is that the Kappa has the externally mounted crossover with screw down terminals that I find superior to traditional terminals found on the 3032.

I've installed all new #14 speaker wire throughout so the original wires and terminals are not a consideration in my installation. For reference I have a new Kenwood head unit driving the 4 main speakers and a 10" sub on the cubby door with a mono amp driving it to fill in just a bit of the low end. I'm not listening to hip hop with the windows rattling, but I have nice smooth clean response all the way up, and am happy.

If you want all Infinity speakers, the 52.9 Kappa in the back and the 3032CF in the front is a very good combination, and with any luck the fronts may go in a little easier with that socket tip!

Tom

BTW - quick update. 200 watt head units don't have the power really for driving a sub as well. I added an amp for the sub and the system sounds fantastic, even at full volume and with thumping bass if I want it.

My VIN:    5368

I'm about to order new speakers, need some advice, has anyone installed REF-3032CFX or 3002CFX? Seem identical in power rating, the 3032 is more expensive than the 3002 but it does have a smaller profile..

Attached Images
    Vin 5368. October 81 Grey Manual

My VIN:    #4595

I purchased the REF-3022CFX for the front dash. I would recommend getting offsets for the studs as the cones will push the dash speaker area out a bit. Several ways to do the offset but the basic approach would be to use an M4 x 1.00 couplers or similar. As to why I purchased the 3022CFX vs. others, I wanted the best speakers I could find for the size since I didn't want to go back in there twice since it's such a pain. I assumed higher price meant higher quality though the specs seem very similar.

Just for reference, I also went with the Infinity Kappa 52.LLi for the rear. Even with 4 solid Infinity speakers, the sound really isn't very good due to the acoustics. I went ahead and did as many others on this forum did and added a sub to the mix. I went with the new Infinity Kappa 800W and a small sub in the driver's side cubby hole and that made all the difference filing out the lower end.

If anyone is interested, I accidentally got an extra 8" Infinity sub that I would be willing to part with also

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast