FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Buying DMC parts in the USA

Buying DMC parts in the USA

I have a little question about buying DMC parts in the USA that needs to be shipped to Europe (Belgium). How does that work in terms of VAT? Are the parts sold without VAT cause they are ment for export?
    What kind of VAT rate is applied in the USA?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There is no VAT applied for sales within USA.

However, most states do impose a sales tax, very similar to VAT; the tax rate varies depending on the state. In many states this tax is not charged when the buyer is located outside of that state. Check with your USA vendor(s) about whether sales tax is charged for export and if so what the tax rate is. You need to talk contact the vendor anyway about shipping.

Here is a reference about import duty and VAT into Belgium from outside the EU. You may be especially interested in knowing the threshold values for VAT and import duty - this article explains that.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_c...-into-Belgium/

"Overview

Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into Belgium from outside of the EU whether by a private individual or a commercial entity. The import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the value of the imported goods plus the cost of importing them (shipping and insurance). "

To summarize, your seller will not charge VAT, your seller might charge sales tax. You may be subject to paying VAT plus import duty on your side for importation into Belgium as noted in the link.
    Last edited by Rich; 11-21-2012 at 02:29 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

To summarize, your seller will not charge VAT, your seller might charge sales tax. You may be subject to paying VAT plus import duty on your side for importation into Belgium as noted in the link.
    US has no VAT of any kind. They find other creative ways to get our money.

As a rule state sales tax is NOT charged for items shipped out of the particular state (for how long this will be there is no telling, the state governments are all trying to fix this calling it the "Amazon Tax Problem").

Import duties are charged by your country when the goods hit your shores. The import duties will be based on the invoice. Some Vendors may under-invoice items to help you "cheat" the authorities, but this is not a good practice as it also undervalues the items for insurance in case of loss, AND can get such vendors on shipper and country blacklists as tax cheats. Not Good. Customs agencies are aware of the internet and have been known to verify prices using the online stores.

One thing to check that varies widely - some countries (notably Canada) exempt parts used on vehicles that are over 30 years old from import duty! The customs agents don't seem to know it, and often the buyer has to pay it to get the parts and then file for a refund. So it pays to know your local laws.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    05141

Hi fellow Belgian,

Be very carefull with this. When buying things from overseas the mailman with present you a very nice tax bill that can be very very costly. Last time I order LED's from superbrightleds. Total invoive was 180$, I was charges 90€ tax on this!!! I started arguing that it was rediculous and he said "fine, I'll take it back with me". He carries official papers for this, so hedoes not that up himself. Nearly everytime I have things shipped I get rediculous import taxes that makes no sense Don't bother asking to mention values lower to the seller, They'll look what it is and tax you on whatever they feel like.
    You can buy things from Ed in Amsterdam. He charges the € to $ more or less so you also pay the taxes also, but on a more fair level, and without surprise. You're better of that way, going direct to the US will cost you more. Sorry to say but I hesitate buying things overseas because of these taxes. The best thing to do is to try to have it sent like it comes from friend or familly.
    Myself or friends of mine go to Ed frequently and we call each other of we do if if we can take things with us to avoid shipment cost from Ed to us. Works very well.

By the way, I'd like to get in touch with you, where are you from?
    Do you know we have private message on this forum, please send me an email to
    indekeu dan apestaartje vervolgens ambelgium puntje en dan com.

Jan

Steering with power

I got parts this week and had to pick them up at the customs :-(

19% tax were added.

OK guys, thanks for the info.

I know it's cheaper and faster to buy parts at DeLorean.eu but some items are only available in the US, hence my question.

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by m_steenbrugge View Post

I know it's cheaper and faster to buy parts at DeLorean.eu but some items are only available in the US, hence my question.
    Did you try Steve from Bruges?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by m_steenbrugge View Post

What parts are you looking for specifically?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    What parts are you looking for specifically?
    Hello Josh

I'm looking for the SS LCA's. I've already sent you some emails regarding it. Sorry for my late reply but I didn't receive notifications.