FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Aluminum Seatbacks

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Yes...I have several sets here. PM me. You just need to tell me how much of it you would like me to do before I send them out to you. i.e. de-bur, drilling, attaching brackets, gluing upholstery back on, etc. I'm still trying to work out a fair price for these.... I'd like to make something on them, but I don't want them to seem outrageous either.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Do you have the dimensions + weight for shipping?

I was hoping to box up a set this weekend. If there are no brackets attached, I'm sure the box will be a little slimmer and lighter to go overseas.

Finally got around to boxing up a set of pre-drilled aluminum panels. In a box 23" long, 19" wide, and approx. 3" high the weight is around 7 lbs. I also boxed up a set for a guy where the aluminum seatbacks had everything mounted to them and were completely refinished....i.e. 3 mounting brackets installed, new foam padding (to replace original black foam---that has since been reduced to a powder over the past 30 years), as well as the original gray covers glued back on and that box was approx. 9 lbs.

Shipping to United Kingdom was roughly $60 US for the 7 lbs box. That was for Global Priority Mail via USPS. I haven't checked UPS yet. In the States...shipping is ranging from $10-$25 depending on the service. Hope this helps if anyone is interested in a set.

Here are some pics of a set I just finished with the original covers glued on with the new foam added underneath to give the cover some of its original shape back.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Are those mine? Because goddamn that's nice work.
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Are those mine? Because goddamn that's nice work.
    Yes... those are yours.

Well worth the money. I'm excited. Thanks!
    - Chris

what

So does anyone have any tips on installing some seat backs that no longer have any flex? I can't get these damn things installed.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You have to place the panel onto the seat back about 2 inches down from the final position. Then slide it upwards while pushing firmly against the side where the brackets are located. These should hook under tabs in the seat frame. Once those are caught on the tabs, keep pushing upward while pushing in on the top edge corners so that the upper bracket is hooked under the frame. Being that those backers are now metal and not flexible masonite, extra pressure will be needed to maneuver it into it's final position.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured (and the method I've been using) since that's how they came out, but holy balls what a chore.

I've also discovered that due to the stiffness of the frame, it really wants to pull HARD against the mounting screws - enough to strip the threads. My inside screw on the driver's seat no longer fastens. Thankfully it doesn't look bad.

I have to say, I'm disappointed in these things. Not because of the quality - because GS450 did a hell of a job on them, but because they're next to impossible to install. The only thing I've managed to do is bend the shit out of the brackets. I'm scared to keep trying for fear that they'll snap off.
    - Chris

what

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast