FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aluminum Seatbacks

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

New Aluminum Seatbacks

So in the process of a complete seat overhaul... I decided to fix those crappy, flimsy and always broken seatbacks with something a little more sturdy and dependable. Mine seemed to turn to dust even as I moved them on the work bench so I figured why bother even trying to recover them. I went with 1/8" aluminum pieces. I had the original pieces drawn to scale in a CAD program by a local shop here in town, and then had them cut. I did the rest of the process myself...including deburring, and riveting the mounting brackets on, drilling all mounting holes, then applied new leather upholstery over the top to match my new seat covers. I went with the 2 tone covers from Houston for my seats, and figured I would take care of the backs at the same time on my own since Houston doesn't deal with the back of the seat. It's not a huge project, but I like finishing something completely instead of reusing old pieces or waiting for someone to put out a kit, etc. The dimensions are extremely close to the originals, and are a perfect fit. They are very sturdy and rigid...so they need a little wiggle to get them in since they don't basically fold in half like the wooden ones did. But...once they are in they are extremely snug. They fit so well I dedided not to secure the top 2 mounting screws for a cleaner look. None the less, I'm very pleased. They are very comfortable once installed, and I don't seem to notice any difference compared to the old ones. I suppose new seat covers really help as well. The only downside of the aluminum is that you can't staple the seatback cover over the structure...it has to be glued. But...no big deal, still very doable.
    I specifically had them drawn up and saved in a CAD program so if any other owners were interested, I could have more made with just a phone call. The CAD drawing and file seemed to be the biggest part of this project...and most expensive. So if anyone would like a set...this is a good way to avoid all the runaround of figuring this out on your own. I do have some extra sets made ... I have them here out in the garage if anyone is interested. If you are interested...PM me and we can work something out. I will even mount and drill all the mounting brackets, etc. if you mail them to me.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    #10213

Excellent job, looks great! My drivers seat back is always popping out of place.

Stephen

My VIN:    4534

Those look great. I didn't even think about making them out of aluminum. I just bought some more fiberboard instead.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Great Idea, where did you get the brackets? Did you use the old ones?

My drivers seat has been popping off.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

I just reused my old brackets off of the original fiberboard pieces.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

"They fit so well I dedided not to secure the top 2 mounting screws for a cleaner look."

FWIW: I don't believe those 2 screws you refer too were supposed to be there anyway. The only screws should be the bottom two.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nice job!!!

...almost a shame to cover them

aluminum seatbacks

Looks great, nice thinking outside the box.
    Andy B 03513

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    "They fit so well I dedided not to secure the top 2 mounting screws for a cleaner look."

FWIW: I don't believe those 2 screws you refer too were supposed to be there anyway. The only screws should be the bottom two.
    Actually, I believe you're right. It's just deceiving since they are there when you start with the old panels.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This is fantastic.
    - Chris

what

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast