FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Picnic Day 2013 - Time to start planning!

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    OK count me in.
    Hope my hot start and fuel odor issues will be resolved before the picnic day.
    There are temporary work arounds for the hot start issue until you get your accumulator replaced. The attached doc (DeLorean Motor Center Emergency Handbook.pdf) has a procedure listed, or you can get a Hot Start Relay (halfway down the page). The relay plugs into the loose empty stocket at the top of your relay compartment. Neither should be used as a permanent solution, but it will keep you from getting stranded someplace.

Fuel odor? Is it just when the tank is full? Many cars will have a fuel smell if you fill the tank all the way to the top, mine does, but it goes away after the fuel level goes down below the fuel pump boot seal. You can also verify that your fuel pump boot seal is properly clamped down, just pull the access panel from under your spare tire.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Wow this is great. Thanks!!!! I wish I had this last week. I was stranded at the gas station because car wouldn't restart. It took 4 hours to get the temperature down.

Yes, fuel tank is full but it smelled even when tank was near empty. I will check the boot seal.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Id be willing to give you a hand in sorting out your issues before the parade.

Thank you so much. I can actually host a BBQ party for all parade participants and other D owners perhaps in feb or march when weather gets better. You can help all of us get ready. I think it will be fun.

My VIN:    0934

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    ....I was stranded at the gas station because car wouldn't restart. It took 4 hours to get the temperature down.

Yes, fuel tank is full but it smelled even when tank was near empty. I will check the boot seal.
    For sure, check the boot seal to be sure that is not contributing to the fuel smell problem. There could be more than one problem to solve. My money is still on a fuel leak on pressure side between pump and engine.

Hot start problem: Look for fuel leaks between the pump and the engine. Also possibly a so-so pump or bad accumulator. But pumps and accumulators do not usually cause a fuel smell problem.
    Fuel smell even when near empty: Could be vapor-only (loose boot, loose filler hose, cracked tank) or liquid (cracked tank, bad fitting/hose/connection/filter/accumulator).

Your mechanic can put a pressure gauge in the circuit and do a pressure bleed-down test. If it holds then the leak isn't between the pump and the engine.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

This is great to see. It would be fun to have a pre-parade tech day and help you out with your new baby. I will be putting in the final application next week and will still be slotting for 10 cars. Only have 7 signed up so far but hope we will get those other three! What about you, Rich?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    For sure, check the boot seal to be sure that is not contributing to the fuel smell problem. There could be more than one problem to solve. My money is still on a fuel leak on pressure side between pump and engine.

Hot start problem: Look for fuel leaks between the pump and the engine. Also possibly a so-so pump or bad accumulator. But pumps and accumulators do not usually cause a fuel smell problem.
    Fuel smell even when near empty: Could be vapor-only (loose boot, loose filler hose, cracked tank) or liquid (cracked tank, bad fitting/hose/connection/filter/accumulator).

Your mechanic can put a pressure gauge in the circuit and do a pressure bleed-down test. If it holds then the leak isn't between the pump and the engine.
    Thanks Rich. This is very helpful. I will have my mechanic check those.
    Thanks again.
    ~ryan

My VIN:    4724

Hi there,

I may be available to attend. Will know better as the date gets closer.

I also sent a request to join the Norcal Delorean FB page. (if one of the moderators happens to read this)

~scott

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Quote Originally Posted by sydlexia View Post
    Hi there,

I may be available to attend. Will know better as the date gets closer.

I also sent a request to join the Norcal Delorean FB page. (if one of the moderators happens to read this)

~scott
    Awesome Scott. Looking forward to meeting you!

Just a reminder to all, I will be putting in the application on Monday. I'm up to 9 names on the list. Let me know ASAP if you think you might come!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    05287

Stuck working that day!

Hi Jon (& Everyone else too)

We were looking forward to this event, I had been apart of it years ago helping out but nothing recently. I just found out I will be stuck working all day that day and won't be able to get out of it, so unfortunately I can say pretty confidently please take me off the confirmed list.

Maybe we can all get together at some other point before or shortly after, I am sure it will be a great event!

Thanks,
    -Brian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast