FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad!?!... I think its bad

My VIN:    4870

Is it bad!?!... I think its bad

So im still working on getting the D in good order. Right now im getting ready to put in a new water pump and in the mean time im replacing all the heater hoses and cleaning out my radiator. While working I take look at the roof in the rear and it does look like my T panel is a little bent, so I take off the black cover piece and this is what is find!!..
    4-78F0B963-2066369-800.jpg4-13FA4900-1837404-800.jpg4-64C7DE31-1948784-800.jpg4-137838E8-1397215-800.jpg4-22CE6884-1389788-800.jpg4-1E8592C8-1587956-800.jpg4-3BFDF82A-1909283-800.jpg

I remember a link to a site that had a step by step on how to fix this problem. Any one know it ??.. Is it even fixable or is it too far gone? I guess if or when I fix that it should help my door alignment issue..

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

How quickly do your doors open? Quite quickly I would guess.

Check the How To section for a thread on Roof Tie Down or Bolt Down.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    03572

Very common. Your roof plate bond has broken loose. You need to get it screwed back down.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That's a fairly common problem and Is very fixable. It's also very common for the black plastic piece to heat warp. I replaced mine with the DMCEU stainless one. I've been thinking about experimenting on my old plastic one with some heat massaging too see if I could savage it. I can't really hurt it any more than it already is.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    4534

It's an easy fix fairly cheap. A drill, bits, sealer, nuts, and bolts are all you need. Plus a stern stomach to drill holes through the top of your Delorean.

Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    It's an easy fix fairly cheap. A drill, bits, sealer, nuts, and bolts are all you need. Plus a stern stomach to drill holes through the top of your Delorean.

Thank god.. Do i have to take the torsion bars out??

My VIN:    4534

Nope, just don't hit them. If you drill off to the side like I did you won't even be close. Just watch for wires and put something in the car to catch the debris unless you want to be vacuuming it out of everything for awhile. If you don't get one of the kits available get a normal bolt, not a carriage bolt like I bought. It was a pain in the ass to tighten down.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    03572

Another fix is to put screws in the back side like I did. But that requires you to remove the T bars and get pressure on the top to press down the plate and hold it there before you put in the screws. What it saves is not needing to remove the headliner.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I would think it's a bad idea to try and fix this without removing the torsion bars. If the torsion bars are what's popping it, then the entire time you're screwing into the top you're fighting the spring force of the T bars. The potential for tearing the screws out is so much higher when you're fighting the T bars during install.

This is how I did it last year on a friends car.

Roof metal.jpgRoof 4.JPGRoof2.jpgRoof 1.jpgRoof 3.JPG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast