FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad!?!... I think its bad

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I would think it's a bad idea to try and fix this without removing the torsion bars. If the torsion bars are what's popping it, then the entire time you're screwing into the top you're fighting the spring force of the T bars. The potential for tearing the screws out is so much higher when you're fighting the T bars during install.
    If you're putting a bolt through the top with a set of decent sized washers then you won't have to worry about anything breaking. You will be fighting the torsion bar but it wasn't bad with a 1/2 ratchet on the bottom and a large wrench on the top. Just be paranoid about putting that ratchet into your rear window. I taped up a piece of foam just in case.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    If you're putting a bolt through the top with a set of decent sized washers then you won't have to worry about anything breaking. You will be fighting the torsion bar but it wasn't bad with a 1/2 ratchet on the bottom and a large wrench on the top. Just be paranoid about putting that ratchet into your rear window. I taped up a piece of foam just in case.
    I think what Nick was trying to say is the Torsion Bars are not very difficult to remove (with the proper jig and correct tools), so why risk damaging or putting more stress on them while performing this procedure? IMHO, it's just not worth the risk.

I did this repair on my first D, and I did not hesitate to take the bars out. Better safe than sorry, especially with that much stored energy on tap.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I think what Nick was trying to say is the Torsion Bars are not very difficult to remove (with the proper jig and correct tools), so why risk damaging or putting more stress on them while performing this procedure? IMHO, it's just not worth the risk.

I did this repair on my first D, and I did not hesitate to take the bars out. Better safe than sorry, especially with that much stored energy on tap.
    I agree. I'm not going to argue that it's not possible to do with the bars in, but I would not take the risk. There is so much stored energy there. Seriously; just imagine how much energy it would take you, not to lift one of your doors, but to rotate it about the axis that the torsion bars do. Then multiply it by 2. Ridiculous amount of energy. If the torsion bars were difficult to take out, maybe it would be one thing. If you're going to remove your t-panel, your headliner, drill through your roof, and put bolts through it, you should be able to remove a torsion bar. Just need the proper (common) tools, and a friend.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

$.02
    Alex and I fabricated a new center box and patched a couple of other small sections, so we had the whole nine yards off. From that experience, I would say in this case just loosen the tension, since you will want to readjust them anyway! ...we only used two bolts with large washers just off center near the torsion bars, but had the same glue the factory used for the rear piece.. [Thanks again to Dave S for tips!]

(Someone took tons of pics and measurements and was going to make a how-to, but got busy...HINT HINT ;-)

My VIN:    6313

Just need the proper (common) tools, and a friend.
    What exactly are the common told for this? Anyone have a link?

Thanks
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

1/2" drive breaker bar, very long extension, proper size allen head socket, wrench for the bracket screws, and the wooden resting rack. Someone will have to post a photo of the wooden thing.

My VIN:    4534

Just need the proper (common) tools, and a friend.
    I've got the tools but not the friend. I work weird hours. Plus I'm not a very social guy.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    How quickly do your doors open? Quite quickly I would guess.

Check the How To section for a thread on Roof Tie Down or Bolt Down.
    I guess they do pop open pretty quickly. I feel like I cant let then go until they fully opened (scared it will bang against the roof) Maybe im just a little puss. Why do you guess?? I cant find that link.. I suck at finding stuff on this site though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Nice.. Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I've got the tools but not the friend. I work weird hours. Plus I'm not a very social guy.
    Haha. Ill be your friend.. For the tools.. Haha. Besides my D came from Alabama. You may have seen her around town.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast