FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Bad car show experiences...

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkyaOAwKWs
    At about 21:15 you can see the Homeboy in question jumping into a Miata. My cars go by a couple minutes later but he has moved a little further down the line by then.
    Looked like he was ready to start a fight with the driver...

My VIN:    1710

I've shared this one many times, but here we go again. About a decade ago, I drove my DeLorean to the Autofair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway... which is one of the largest car shows in the U.S. I was not showing my car, but instead went to see a friend of mine's auto literature booth. He had found an original copy of Stainless Steel Illusion, and told me if I came to pick it up it was mine for $20. So naturally I was on it!

Anyway, I pulled my DeLorean in the parking field next to the speedway, and was getting out of the car and shutting the door when I heard a very accusing voice behind me say "Hey! Let my SON look at your car." I turned around to see a giant "bubba" glaring at me condescendingly... while simultaneously his equally fat little offspring darted into my car and starting pushing all of the switches with zeal. This wasn't a small child, either... he was easily 10-13. Just as quickly as they came, they waddled off... without a word of thanks or anything. I was just too dumbfounded to speak. My parents had bought, sold, and shown classic cars and motorcycles my whole life. I'd never, ever seen or experienced anything like that.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

This incident of the crackhead jumping into the car has really shown me to be careful on how I pick my shows.
    The weekly parking lot car cruise seems to be safe because the crowd is essential gear heads who have respect for others cars.
    The typical "car show" brings in people who think a car is merely transportation. Add booze, crack and today's attitude of "its on display, must mean I can do whatever I want" and you have a recipe for some tense moments.
    Dont think I will be doing that show again with the DMC.

My VIN:    10904

I've had the occasional joker feel it was appropriate to open the door and get in to pose for the picture mommy was taking for them. I'm amazed at what people do.

This time I was bringing the car to an event tonight for an outdoor screening of Back To The Future in Los Alamos, NM. We have a special place in our hearts for plutonium out here. Everybody was excited. And it rained. I got to park by Ashley Pond, in the heart of downtown Los Alamos so I snapped a couple pictures while I could when the rain stopped for a few minutes. The movie was officially called off for this evening but they may do it later in the month.

DeLorean-AshleyPond1.jpg

DeLorean-AshleyPond2.jpg

The headliner didn't get wet this time. I learned from the last time!

-Bob

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

FullSizeRender.jpgGiven the horror stories, y'all make me not want to do any car shows. Maybe we should start a thread "Good car shows", unless I missed it. I will have my first one with the D today....Kindof nervous.

Not really a car show...but I let these film makers use my car for an awards ceremony as the theme was BTTF.
    They even made some props for the car and I got to keep them.
    AND they got the Marty Mcfly impersonator from Universal Studios doing his skit in the crowd/people in line and at the car.

Anyway, at the entrance outside they had my car roped off. It was those metal poles with the velvet ropes inbetween.
    I was there just watching.

With security, myself and Mcfly and the ropes that still didn't stop people from stepping over the ropes to take pics.
    Some guy with his kid stepped over the rope and tripped and knocked over a pole. thank god it hit the tire. But I totally lost my shit thinking it hit the body. He grabbed his kid and RAN!! I Shit you not.
    After that we put the ropes further out and they got 2 more security guys to stand guard.
    004.jpgPicture 1175.jpg093.jpg

At another show some Twat decided to sit on the front facia/hood for a pic. I literally pushed him off without saying anything and he hit the ground lol.

Unrelated to the D but on 2 other shows I went to there was this 40'S ford across from me and this kid around 5-7 was running his hot wheels toy car down the side of the ford and scratched the hell out of it.

BUT! car shows can be fun! you just have to be attentive and on top of it at all times. For all the shit car guys give the D we steal the show all the time, and the public LOVE our cars.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hcloud13 View Post

BUT! car shows can be fun! you just have to be attentive and on top of it at all times. For all the shit car guys give the D we steal the show all the time, and the public LOVE our cars.
    I like the DMC picture/collage that you had in the one photo.

I hope so, I will post a pic or two of my experience

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    FullSizeRender.jpgGiven the horror stories, y'all make me not want to do any car shows. Maybe we should start a thread "Good car shows", unless I missed it. I will have my first one with the D today....Kindof nervous.
    Don't let the horror stories deter you- they are the exception, not the rule. Most of the time folks are delighted to see a DeLorean, and excitedly pepper you with questions. You can really make folks days by just being there with your car. To me, interacting with people like that really was one of the finest aspects of ownership. Getting to talk about the car/marque that you love, seeing folks excitement, all while seeding their brains with some knowledge. I actually really enjoyed letting people sit in my car and play with the doors. Hell, I even taught a few friends to drive a stick with my DeLoreans.

It's all boils down to respect- if the person asked first, I pretty much didn't care how they pawed over the car. Everyone wants to touch the stainless to see if the grain has texture- how terrible is it really to spritz the car with Windex afterward the show is over? Something about DeLoreans just makes people lose their common sense. They get so excited because it's a fun car, and probably the single most approachable exotic out there. It's also so wholly unlike any other vehicle that's ever been built, so they just want to figure it out in a hands on way. I get that.

I think the reason I got so p*ssed off with the Dad & kid who helped themselves to my DeLorean was 1) the sense of entitlement 2) the fact I was NOT showing the car- I was essentially out running an errand. You have to go into a car show with a certain expectation that these cars temporarily make people lose all reason, and that makes them do dumb stuff. I wasn't in that mindframe when that kid hopped into my car without my permission, and it made me mad.

Like Hcloud13 said, just stay vigilant. If you go for a walk/bathroom break, simply close your car up. If you don't want anyone near your interior under any circumstances, I've seen a few clever options over the years. My favorite was someone who cut 2 pvc pipes down, notched the ends out, and slid them over the door striker pins. To me, that's a perfect solution- your car stays open so folks can look at it, but it should definitely prevent anyone from getting inside without your permission.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    17106

Club(s):   (DOA) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

[QUOTE=louielouie2000;176988 If you don't want anyone near your interior under any circumstances, I've seen a few clever options over the years. My favorite was someone who cut 2 pvc pipes down, notched the ends out, and slid them over the door striker pins. [/QUOTE]

I use some plastic garden chain that I attached larger links that fit over the striker pins to; the doors open is just too inviting, this gives just enough of a reminder hint to people; and is easy to tuck away between shows:
    2330449330059450064uqqutR_fs.jpg

Won't stop the complete jackasses, but what will.

M

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

door bar

I found two chrome tubes that I notched to fit over
    The door pins......works great.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast