FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad car show experiences...

My VIN:    3639 (Sept 81-April 12, RIP), 1805

Club(s):   (DMA)

I printed up a little warning sign for my D. "A man's car is like another man's wife. Look but don't touch". And I have no problem with people touching my car or sitting in it. Just ask first. I've made several a little kids day after I let them sit in it. After there parents asked first that is.

My VIN:    7075

I had a bad experience too, beside the many good ones. I guy came and asked for a few thing about the car and then said, that his VW Golf is much faster than the Delorean. I said, that it can be true, but this is not why I like the car, but the styling. He just kept saying, that his car's acceleration is much better and said, that this is why the Delorean is worthless.
    I got so pissed off, than said to him, that: "Ok, we can go to an acceleration race, but I hope you don't mind that until you are playing with your very good accelerating car, I fuck your girlfriend."
    After this he shut up and left. Moron.

My VIN:    6514

Club(s):   (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

You would be amazed how much a doors down/closed display works at a show. Cuts the traffic by more than half. Some folks still recognize the car and may stoop down to peer into the open window, but hardly any kids will stop by. Most just keep walking slowly on by...which is fine with me.
    Started this practice this year at a few shows just to see the difference. Sometimes in the past I have left the driver door closed and left open the passenger, so folks could see what the window treatment looks like (cannot see them with doors open) or to see what the inside panel of the door contains.
    A display with both doors down also allows people to see the lines of the car...which in my opinion are quite spectacular!!!
    Yes, I have also had to deal with a$$holes at various shows. 1 trick I learned from a friend is to use an elastic cargo net, much like the one on the parcel shelf, and stretch it around the door openings, securing it with the rubber coated hooks at various points of the opening. Works pretty well.
    Was at a ballon festival many years ago, windows open and doors locked. Guy reaches in, unlocks doors and opens it!!!
    WTF!!!
    Location also has a lot to do with the type of manners that will be "on display" at shows.
    Whether it is a weekend show or a weekly cruise night, ya gotta be vigilant.
    It amazes me how many owners around me just up and walk away from their cars because they want to see the other cars at the show. I do too, but after seeing what has happened to other owners of cars nicer than my D...I stay put !!!

Canon20DFan

I'll try that...

I like the cargo net idea...I may try that in lieu of my PVC pipes across the doors. I'll also shut the doors for a show and see what happens...

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

Here's an idea, make a sign that says, "WARNING: STAINLESS STEEL ELECTRIFIED. DO NOT TOUCH!" I'm always shocking myself off the door in winter.

My VIN:    3937

Let me take a shot at "worst car show experience"...

Two summers ago our club had 7 cars together for a big car show/cruise in. It was a regular cruise in show on a weeknight at the mall, but this one happened to be huge, with about 400 cars that were all there in upwards of an hour BEFORE the show started. Our group of DeLoreans were pretty excited about getting a few of them together.

I happened to be parked on the end of 4 of our D's in a short row and at the time I was say about 15 feet away from my car looking towards the passenger side front corner. I really find it hard to believe this happened... but I see this haggardly looking old Harley guy, ya know, silver long hair in a pony tail, leather vest over his denim shirt, smoke hanging out of his mouth, and all 115 pounds of him... got the picture? And what is he doing? He's walking from the back right corner of my car towards the front DRAGGING A MAGNET ALONG MY PANELS.

I'm like.... WHAT? WHOA, really? "Dude, what the hell are you doing?"

"Oh, ah, um, just seeing if the stainless is magnetic or not. Ya know, they say stainless isn't magnetic."

"Ya, uh-huh... but YOU'RE DRAGGING SOMETHING METAL DOWN MY CAR!!"

"Oh, ya, oh, uh, sorry" ...and he walks away probably thinking something like "what was that guy's problem?"

Couldn't believe it. The rath of my anger generally only appears if I'm on my own somewhere, so this guy was pretty lucky there were so many people around that I didn't want to embarass myself in front of.

Sheesh. And we all wonder why anyone would still go to a car show? LOL On second thought folks, I think I need to retract the whole Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct rules. Man, just reminding myself about how many donkies there are out there makes me want to leave it parked in the garage.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Canon20DFan
    A magnet? That's pretty bad...

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Let me take a shot at "worst car show experience"...

Two summers ago our club had 7 cars together for a big car show/cruise in. It was a regular cruise in show on a weeknight at the mall, but this one happened to be huge, with about 400 cars that were all there in upwards of an hour BEFORE the show started. Our group of DeLoreans were pretty excited about getting a few of them together.

I happened to be parked on the end of 4 of our D's in a short row and at the time I was say about 15 feet away from my car looking towards the passenger side front corner. I really find it hard to believe this happened... but I see this haggardly looking old Harley guy, ya know, silver long hair in a pony tail, leather vest over his denim shirt, smoke hanging out of his mouth, and all 115 pounds of him... got the picture? And what is he doing? He's walking from the back right corner of my car towards the front DRAGGING A MAGNET ALONG MY PANELS.

I'm like.... WHAT? WHOA, really? "Dude, what the hell are you doing?"

"Oh, ah, um, just seeing if the stainless is magnetic or not. Ya know, they say stainless isn't magnetic."

"Ya, uh-huh... but YOU'RE DRAGGING SOMETHING METAL DOWN MY CAR!!"

"Oh, ya, oh, uh, sorry" ...and he walks away probably thinking something like "what was that guy's problem?"

Couldn't believe it. The rath of my anger generally only appears if I'm on my own somewhere, so this guy was pretty lucky there were so many people around that I didn't want to embarass myself in front of.

Sheesh. And we all wonder why anyone would still go to a car show? LOL On second thought folks, I think I need to retract the whole Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct rules. Man, just reminding myself about how many donkies there are out there makes me want to leave it parked in the garage.
    I cant believe that Jonathan! I would've gone off on the guy for sure.

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I just came from a car show and I took my survivor 40,000 mile 1976 Eldorado instead. Most people ignored the car; a few looked, but nobody commented on it. I even felt confident enough to leave the car unattended and check out the other vehicles.

My advice: buy a '70s Cadillac and take it to a car show; premium parking and no stupid comments.

My VIN:    7075

Well, it did not happened exactly on a car show, but while I was slowly leaving from there. I left with the doors open and a guy who seemed to be interested in the car watched it and I saw, that he wants to ask something. Ok, this happens many times, so I stopped. The guy's first question was: What is the price of this car?
    I was not happy, because of his rudeness. Many times it happens, that people ask this after a small conversation, but it has never been the first question. I was thinking about say something similar to him, but I said the price and left.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast