FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EFI Conversion Using Stock Delorean Intake Manifold

Post EFI Conversion Using Stock Delorean Intake Manifold

Does anyone have info and pics using a stock Delorean intake manifold with custom fuel rails?
    I saw a couple of conversions done this way along with using individual ignition coils and it has me interested.
    I would like to keep the engine looking as close to stock as possible (Intake and air cleaner box-cold air intake) but with the added benefit of EFI.

Thanks!

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I'm sure Spittybug will offer up input here. I know he has done this for I think two or three owners in Texas.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?20...k-setup-to-EFI

Just a few threads down from this one..............
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Oh, Josh, I should mention that if you do convert to EFI, we have very similar engine builds, so my tune that I am running should be a very good starting point for yours.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Oh, Josh, I should mention that if you do convert to EFI, we have very similar engine builds, so my tune that I am running should be a very good starting point for yours.
    The different intake manifolds will make more of a difference than you realize, but it should indeed give the engine a starting point.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

As many of you know a fellow Delorean owner and I did an EFI conversion earlier this year. This conversion kept the Delorean manifold. We have had an issue with the Megasquirt 3.57 box purchased from DIYAutotune. Numerous emails, discussions with various people, tests failed to solve a sync loss issue we were having with our cars at high RPMs. We knew it had to do with the 3.57 box as the 3.0 box worked fine. The 3.57 box wouldn't work in another owner's car that was running fine with the 3.0 box. Our only solution, besides buying a 3.0 box, was to take a Delorean to Georgia where DIY was located and have the guys there diagnose the problem. The fellow Delorean owner has been on a US tour in his Delorean and made it to DIY today. They worked on software and hardware setting and were NOT able to eliminate the sync loss problem. They did not figure out what the issue was causing the sync loss but felt it had to do with the spark plugs or wires. They know something in their 3.57 board is not quite right for the Deloreans but apparently works fine for other cars. When they put a 3.0 box in the car the car ran beautiful. So they swapped the boxes and now the Delorean is running fine with the 3.0 box. I'll be sending mine in for the swap.

Hopefull this will put this problem behind us and we can now move forward to tweaking the settings in the program on the box to get great performance with the cars. This will now open the way for other Delorean owners who want to do the conversion. Just remember to order the 3.0 box. Fortunately it's also less expensive than the 3.57 box.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    As many of you know a fellow Delorean owner and I did an EFI conversion earlier this year. This conversion kept the Delorean manifold. We have had an issue with the Megasquirt 3.57 box purchased from DIYAutotune. Numerous emails, discussions with various people, tests failed to solve a sync loss issue we were having with our cars at high RPMs. We knew it had to do with the 3.57 box as the 3.0 box worked fine. The 3.57 box wouldn't work in another owner's car that was running fine with the 3.0 box. Our only solution, besides buying a 3.0 box, was to take a Delorean to Georgia where DIY was located and have the guys there diagnose the problem. The fellow Delorean owner has been on a US tour in his Delorean and made it to DIY today. They worked on software and hardware setting and were NOT able to eliminate the sync loss problem. They did not figure out what the issue was causing the sync loss but felt it had to do with the spark plugs or wires. They know something in their 3.57 board is not quite right for the Deloreans but apparently works fine for other cars. When they put a 3.0 box in the car the car ran beautiful. So they swapped the boxes and now the Delorean is running fine with the 3.0 box. I'll be sending mine in for the swap.

Hopefull this will put this problem behind us and we can now move forward to tweaking the settings in the program on the box to get great performance with the cars. This will now open the way for other Delorean owners who want to do the conversion. Just remember to order the 3.0 box. Fortunately it's also less expensive than the 3.57 box.
    Can you please provide a parts list on here to do the EFI conversion? Thanks!

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

It would be better for me to send a file to anyone interested as the file is better organized and has more detail with part numbers, vendor names, etc. Anyone interested, send me a message.
    But an idea:
    Megasquirt 2
    GM Closed Element CLT/IAT Sensors
    USB to Serial Adaptor
    Fuel Pressure regulator
    Innovate LC-1 Wide band O2 Sensor
    Various fittings for fuel rail from Jegs
    2 Fuel rails
    6 - 19#/hour short fuel injectors @ $21.99 ea. Plus shipping
    Tuner Studio Software
    auto relays, fuses, wiring, idle air socket & GM Valve, air sensors
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    It would be better for me to send a file to anyone interested as the file is better organized and has more detail with part numbers, vendor names, etc. Anyone interested, send me a message.
    But an idea:
    Megasquirt 2
    GM Closed Element CLT/IAT Sensors
    USB to Serial Adaptor
    Fuel Pressure regulator
    Innovate LC-1 Wide band O2 Sensor
    Various fittings for fuel rail from Jegs
    2 Fuel rails
    6 - 19#/hour short fuel injectors @ $21.99 ea. Plus shipping
    Tuner Studio Software
    auto relays, fuses, wiring, idle air socket & GM Valve, air sensors
    Are you running coil packs too?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Shannon is not running coil packs. To do so he would need to add both a crank and cam trigger as well as the coil packs or COPS.

His list also omitted a fuel pressure gauge.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast