FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's Step-By Step, Semi-Full Restoration, One-Stop Shop Car Blog

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Alex's Step-By Step, Semi-Full Restoration, One-Stop Shop Car Blog

Hey all,

I have a semi-full restoration going on with my car right now and I've developed a blog on it. It's at:

www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

I have step-by-step instructions with a TON of pics, too. Some of the things I've tackled and documented thus-far include:

1) Replacing distributor cap, rotor, plugs.
    2) Removing the intake manifold and reconditioning it.
    3) Cleaning the valley
    4) Installing DeLorean Parts Northwest's radiator fans and coolant bleeder kit
    5) Replacing the radiator
    6) Replacing the oil sending unit
    7) Draining and cleaning the fuel tank
    Installing the water pump
    9) Installing Joe Cool unit and dealing with overheating issues
    10) Alternator installation
    11) Removing and reconditioning the valve covers and timing chain cover, along with installing a new crankshaft seal

And many more in progress and to come.

I also include mistakes I made and what I'd do differently next time, which I think is very important. Please feel free to take a look around and let me know what you think.

My goal was to make a step-by-step blog that anyone can follow and be successful with it. Everything from materials that was used, who I ordered parts from, time it took, and tools I needed. I'll keep everyone posted when I put another entry up.

Alex

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4534

This looks really good. I'll be bookmarking it for reference. Thanks for setting it up.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Awesome web page!

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Alex,

I only did a quick review of your blog and a few entries, but it looks like it will be really helpful for DIY DeLorean mechanics.

Even if you have done some of this work in the past, the blog will be helpful for the "next time" you need to do it, especially
    listing the tools and all the associated replacement parts you will want to acquire, in advance, to do all the work that should
    be done "while you are in there" in addition to the primary task and associated parts. If I ever got some free time, I always
    wanted to put together something similar, so kudos to you for taking the time to do this recording. Keep up the good work.

Later,
    Rich W.
    Last edited by Rich W; 12-05-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: fixed type-o's

Duuuuuude....
    1-800-273-8255

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Alex,

I only did a quick review of your blog and a few entries, but it looks like it will be really helpful for DIY DeLorean mechanics.

Even if you have done some of this work in the past, the blog will be helpful for the "next time" you need to do it, especially
    listing the tools and all the associated replacement parts you will want to acquire, in advance, to do all the work that should
    be done "while you are in there" in addition to the primary task and associated parts. If I ever got some free time, I always
    wanted to put together something similar, so kudos to you for taking the time to do this recording. Keep up the good work.

Later,
    Rich W.
    Thanks for the great compliments, Rich. I really appreciate that. That was my goal when I started; to create a blog that was somewhat of a "DeLorean Diary" to track progress and help me remember what I did. It started out primarily just by taking photos when I'd break something down but putting it in blog format was even better.

There's no way possible that I'd have been able to do this without the help of people on this forum. Over the past six months or so, I've run into some awesome blogs out there where one person would have great info on XX and another would have great info on YY. I wanted to try to create something where I'm taking all of the info that I gathered, apply it with the car, and then document everything for everyone else. I wanted to make it where it was as detailed as possible, tons of pictures, and have it where someone would only have to look at one blog. In reality, my blog contains a lot of "how-to" info from other blogs and posts from dmctalk, but of course all of the work was done on my car. It was nothing more than asking a bunch of people how to do something, applying it, and then documenting it.

My background is pretty basic; my mantra was to start with a running car, break it down, and then put it back together how it was and everything should be fine. Simplistic, I know, but the journey so far has kind of been like that. I don't have a ton of experience with cars, very little in fact, but this board has helped me tremendously and I hope I can do the same for others.

If anyone has any advice, please feel free to send it my way. I've got a lot of stuff coming down the pike with my car and I'll document every single little thing and tell you how it came out...and what I'd do differently next time if I didn't do it right so you don't make the same mistakes. My goal with my car is to make it look as close to 100% stock as possible but with updated and reliable componentry. If it was problematic and not good in the car, it's on its way out and I'll tell you all about it. Fuse box replacement, door lock modulator, Joe Cool (already posted), door lock actuator upgrades, radiator fans, better alternator, LEDs, etc. It's all coming

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Duuuuuude....
    Haha! Thanks so much for that!

And thanks Chris, and everyone else!

Alex

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My latest entry is here:

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspo...ether-and.html

This deals with replacing the fuel lines, putting the fuel injectors back together, re-installing the intake manifold, firing it back up, troubleshooting and adjusting the idle, and bleeding the cooling system.

Hope you enjoy!

Alex

Alex Abdalla

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Hey all,

I have a semi-full restoration going on with my car right now and I've developed a blog on it. It's at:

www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

I have step-by-step instructions with a TON of pics, too. Some of the things I've tackled and documented thus-far include:

1) Replacing distributor cap, rotor, plugs.
    2) Removing the intake manifold and reconditioning it.
    3) Cleaning the valley
    4) Installing DeLorean Parts Northwest's radiator fans and coolant bleeder kit
    5) Replacing the radiator
    6) Replacing the oil sending unit
    7) Draining and cleaning the fuel tank
    Installing the water pump
    9) Installing Joe Cool unit and dealing with overheating issues
    10) Alternator installation
    11) Removing and reconditioning the valve covers and timing chain cover, along with installing a new crankshaft seal

And many more in progress and to come.

I also include mistakes I made and what I'd do differently next time, which I think is very important. Please feel free to take a look around and let me know what you think.

My goal was to make a step-by-step blog that anyone can follow and be successful with it. Everything from materials that was used, who I ordered parts from, time it took, and tools I needed. I'll keep everyone posted when I put another entry up.

Alex
    Hey Alex.. I found this blog by total accident and it is perfect for me. I doing almost all the same repairs to my D and I can say for a guy that has no experience repairing cars let alone deloreans you have giving me some much needed motavation. Pics are great and everything is laid out very well. I have your blog up at work almost every day just fliping through it. I really cant thank you enough for posting it, im sure its a big pain in the ass and very time consuming so thank you.

Vin #4870 - custom interior - sweet fuzzy dash and stock everything else

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Hey Alex.. I found this blog by total accident and it is perfect for me. I doing almost all the same repairs to my D and I can say for a guy that has no experience repairing cars let alone deloreans you have giving me some much needed motavation. Pics are great and everything is laid out very well. I have your blog up at work almost every day just fliping through it. I really cant thank you enough for posting it, im sure its a big pain in the ass and very time consuming so thank you.

Vin #4870 - custom interior - sweet fuzzy dash and stock everything else
    Thanks for the compliments! I understand what it's like to be brand-new to this whole thing but there's so much you can tackle on your own. I came across so many great restoration websites but it was hard to keep track of and remember where you saw something you liked. Plus, various owners are doing different things to their cars. I wanted to create a resource that hopefully a lot of people would find useful. I'm glad you found my blog as a great resource!

And it's not a pain in the ass at all. I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. The whole thing was born by taking a ton of pictures so I could remember how things were before I took them apart; trying to keep something of a digital photobook. And a lot of times, you can't find that specific picture online that would help with whatever project you have going on. So if I'm working on project "XY" and I have a good picture of part "XY", but you only need a good picture of the "Y" in "XY", then hopefully that can indirectly help you!

Thanks again for the words!

Alex Abdalla

New Post - Reconditioning the engine compartment, front storage, and muffler

I put up another entry and this one took quite awhile. I completely reconditioned the engine compartment, front storage under the hood, the muffler and several miscellaneous parts. I also added some very interesting production history on the car and the VARI process.

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspo...ent-front.html

Forgot to mention: now that my car is running again, I also updated the oil sending unit replacement entry with pics of the oil gauge working correctly at idle and at about 2500 RPM.
    Last edited by kings1527; 01-03-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added info on oil sending unit entry

Alex Abdalla

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast