FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's Step-By Step, Semi-Full Restoration, One-Stop Shop Car Blog

Hey Alex, excellent blog! I've been reading it start to finish!

As I will be starting some significant work on my car, it's random question time: What type of anti-seize are you using? There seems to be a few types out there: zinc, nickel, aluminum-graphite & copper.
    Thanks!

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by 121GWATT View Post
    Hey Alex, excellent blog! I've been reading it start to finish!

As I will be starting some significant work on my car, it's random question time: What type of anti-seize are you using? There seems to be a few types out there: zinc, nickel, aluminum-graphite & copper.
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the compliments! I'm actually working on several new entries as we speak! For general purposes, such as preventing bolts from seizing and such, I've been using this from Permatex http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8066439/00814/

It appears to be a blend of the materials you mentioned. But keep in mind that kind is not "sensor safe". This kind here http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=anti+seize is considered sensor-safe and is copper-based. It has a higher capacity for heat, too. I just put in another O2 sensor and catalytic converter in my car and I put the copper-based anti-seize on the threads of the O2 sensor, as well as on the studs of the cat. I should probably have that entry up tomorrow. If you didn't want to switch between the two types of anti-seize, it looks like the copper-based will work on anything else, too.

I have some entries coming up on regraining stainless, installing various parts from DPNW (door actuators, new digital door lock module, headlight upgrade switch, and their elite alarm package), upgrading the fuse box, upgrading to LEDs, and removing/installing the front and rear fascias. Lots going on! I hope it helps you in your ventures!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4534

The only thing I'd change is not using newspaper. It can soak up overspray and let it leech through. For the areas more prone to getting wet via the overspray I'd use a roll of painter's paper. It has a wax like coating that prevents soaking through. It's 3 dollars a roll from Lowes. Other than that you've done a fantastic job. I'm just about to tackle this same area on my car so the tutorial was well timed and much appreciated.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    The only thing I'd change is not using newspaper. It can soak up overspray and let it leech through. For the areas more prone to getting wet via the overspray I'd use a roll of painter's paper. It has a wax like coating that prevents soaking through. It's 3 dollars a roll from Lowes. Other than that you've done a fantastic job. I'm just about to tackle this same area on my car so the tutorial was well timed and much appreciated.
    Noted! Thanks for the advice!

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5482

I setup a restoration blog for my car too via the same provider. Its a nice way to keep up with everything you've done and share it with others.

I had started a restoration thread here on this forum but decided to move it over to the free Google blog so I could share it with all my family and friends.

http://dmctx.blogspot.com/
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    I setup a restoration blog for my car too via the same provider. Its a nice way to keep up with everything you've done and share it with others.

I had started a restoration thread here on this forum but decided to move it over to the free Google blog so I could share it with all my family and friends.

http://dmctx.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for sharing your page, Jeff! Nice work!

Alex Abdalla

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I mention this because you said in your original post you are doing something with your valve covers. On another Forum (not Deloreans) an owner had his valve covers blasted and powder coated. He put them on his newly rebuilt motor and it subsequently died. It got rebuilt and died several times . It was eventually discovered the baffle riveted to the underside of the valve cover was full of blasting media that was never completely cleaned out and it kept ruining the motor.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments! I'm actually working on several new entries as we speak! For general purposes, such as preventing bolts from seizing and such, I've been using this from Permatex http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8066439/00814/

It appears to be a blend of the materials you mentioned. But keep in mind that kind is not "sensor safe". This kind here http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=anti+seize is considered sensor-safe and is copper-based. It has a higher capacity for heat, too. I just put in another O2 sensor and catalytic converter in my car and I put the copper-based anti-seize on the threads of the O2 sensor, as well as on the studs of the cat. I should probably have that entry up tomorrow. If you didn't want to switch between the two types of anti-seize, it looks like the copper-based will work on anything else, too.

I have some entries coming up on regraining stainless, installing various parts from DPNW (door actuators, new digital door lock module, headlight upgrade switch, and their elite alarm package), upgrading the fuse box, upgrading to LEDs, and removing/installing the front and rear fascias. Lots going on! I hope it helps you in your ventures!
    Great stuff, thanks. Also great to see a fellow firefighter with a Delorean!

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I mention this because you said in your original post you are doing something with your valve covers. On another Forum (not Deloreans) an owner had his valve covers blasted and powder coated. He put them on his newly rebuilt motor and it subsequently died. It got rebuilt and died several times . It was eventually discovered the baffle riveted to the underside of the valve cover was full of blasting media that was never completely cleaned out and it kept ruining the motor.
    David Teitelbaum
    Wow, David. That's brutal. What a nightmare. Thanks for the info. On mine, I blasted with soda. I would consider it light to medium duty. It won't take stuff off like glass beads or walnut shells will. The nicest thing about it that I found is that it's water soluble. It completely rinsed away from the covers after I washed them. I was nervous to use anything else for the very reasons you brought up in your post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 121GWATT View Post
    Great stuff, thanks. Also great to see a fellow firefighter with a Delorean!
    Right on! Quite the conversation piece at the station!

Alex Abdalla

Update To My Blog

OK, I updated my blog with an entry on the following:

1) Installing a new butterfly assembly and fixing my high idle issue

2) Adjusting the emergency brake

3) California smog check problems and replacing the catalytic converter along with the O2 sensor. I also talk about resetting the Lambda counter

4) Adjusting the CO with a dwell meter

I also talk a tiny bit about the Back To The Future "A" car project and how an entry on that will be forthcoming.

I forgot to mention, I also added a few videos in there for adjusting the dwell.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by kings1527; 02-25-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Mentioned the videos

Alex Abdalla

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast