FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tires

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

OEM spec is 195/60/R14 on the fronts and 235/60/R15 on the back.
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

I dont believe there are any matching tires for our cars right now are there?

Not that I've been able to find. You can get BFG in the correct sizes but they are different tread patterns (this is probably true for several brands). Every once in a while someone tells me that they found the correct sizes in some off-brand but upon further investigation they turn out to be old inventory.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Primewell makes a set of tires in OE sizes, although the fronts are a different series than the rears. Tread patterns vary slightly. Primewell tires are made by Bridgestone, IIRC.

http://www.primewelltires.com/

I have a set in the correct sizes on my car and they are a decent value for the money.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    6125

As Dave mentioned Cooper Cobra's are no longer available in the correct front size 195/60/14 (The rear tires 235/60/15 are still in production) I managed to snag a set of fronts about a year ago off tires-easy.com but that may have been the last of their stock. You could try them again and you may get lucky.

For a while I was seeing Cooper Cobra front tires on Ebay but it looks like that supply has dried up also. If you can find a set of fronts somewhere the rears are still readily available.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I got a set of matching Cooper Cobras from Tireeasy but that was a few years ago and as mentionred they are probably out of stock by now. What most DMC franchises do and suggest is moving down to a 225 rear size which opens up a whole new world of matching tires to choose from and the 10mm difference in size is pretty much invisible.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Banned

Other than cosmetics there is no compelling reason to match tread patterns front to rear, especially given DeLoreans' tire size disparity (reasonable argument can be made for matching treads side to side). Commercial trucks often have radically different treads on their steering and driving axles, especially if they are only 2 axle.
    Last edited by Bill Robertson's Sock Puppet #1; 12-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrooks View Post
    Other than cosmetics there is no compelling reason to match tread patterns front to rear, especially given DeLoreans' tire size disparity (reasonable argument can be made for matching treads side to side). Commercial trucks often have radically different treads on their steering and driving axles, especially if they are only 2 axle.
    For most DeLorean owners, cosmetics are as important as mechanics.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

I've got Cooper Cobras in the rear and Prodigy (something or other) in the front. I put the Cobras on in March when I got the car, but the Prodigy fronts that came on it are still there. Not sure what I'll use when it comes time to replace them.
    Regarding rear tire size, I would never go with a narrower tire in the rear - wider if anything.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2