FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sem trim black

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Sem trim black

I had an extra engine cover that needed a respray. SEM TRIM BLACK made all the difference in the world. Here are some before and after pictures.

Kirk
    Attached Images

My VIN:    3028

That looks great! I've had success with Duplicolors trim paint as well. I have used it on the license plate bezel and also on the plastic on the rear lights (taping it up was a bit time consuming).

My VIN:    891, 1045

I've got a few cans of it in my garage. I started using SEM probably 8 years ago and moved over to Duplicolor because of price and am very happy with the Trim Paint in the green can.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Somewhat on-topic, does anyone know of a reasonable way to hammer out the grills to make them flat again?
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    891, 1045

What I've done for small metal items is to sandwich it between two pieces of wood and use a hammer. I've also hammered directly on the metal with it resting on a flat piece of wood. I haven't had to bend my grilles (yet) but that's the way I'd use unless I did it by hand.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Somewhat on-topic, does anyone know of a reasonable way to hammer out the grills to make them flat again?
    Popsicle sticks are a good non-marring way to bend individual fins back into shape. The wood is strong enough to bend the metal and small enough to slip in between the fins. It just takes time.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    6514

Club(s):   (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Wondering if it would work as well for the louvers ??? Guessing SEM is a spray paint of some sort ? Available in auto stores ?

My VIN:    6125

SEM paints are available at most auto parts stores. Here's a picture of the can which may be helpful.

SEM Trim Black.JPG

Otherwise you can get it from a variety of sources online, just do a google search for SEM Trim Black.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by topcop66 View Post
    Wondering if it would work as well for the louvers ??? Guessing SEM is a spray paint of some sort ? Available in auto stores ?
    The color would be perfect. It will take a few cans to do properly. I used it on my whole engine compartment, trunk and lower engine cover. Holds up well and looks great and fit the budget at the time.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by topcop66 View Post
    You can also order SEM through Amazon, it's not cheap but it's a perfect match and it will hold up for many years if applied correctly. Go ahead and order a few more cans than you think you'll need because you can always use it on the other black parts. The paint works best if it's above 70 degrees. Make sure to keep the paint can vertical when spraying, don't put the part on the floor and spray downward as you'll end up with paint splotches and you'll have to sand them out and redo. It's best apply slowly with multiple layers, don't expect the part to look complete after the first layer. Let it dry then apply another, be patient. Trust me, I seem to learn everything the hard way :-)

Kirk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast