FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sem trim black

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Dmc10398 View Post
    If I have to keep the spray can upright, how do I paint the truck/front storage area? I remember a number of years ago someone did a full write on this but I can't find it anywhere, can someone post a link? Thanks
    I completely reconditioned my engine compartment, front storage, and louvers using Trim Black and I've had great results with it. Everything is holding up extremely well, even after a year of washing it.

As far as holding the can upright, it's a pretty forgiving can. You don't need to be perfect with it. I did a write-up of my experience and I linked it below:

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspo...ent-front.html

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10722

Excellent write-up! I'll read the entire blog someday, but for now... at $18/can is the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter worth it?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    Excellent write-up! I'll read the entire blog someday, but for now... at $18/can is the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter worth it?

Andy
    Thanks! The can of Bulldog will go a pretty long way. One can could easily do the entire engine compartment and then some. I did two coats of adhesion promoter and then Trim Black. I really do believe you have to have some sort of primer on your material which is what it's doing.

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Smile

Thanks! I found it at Sherman-Williams Auto - they can order it or sell me their version for $27/can . They said it is basically glue with a little acid that will etch the plastic and make the paint stick better. I just finished painting my exterior mirrors (without the adhesion promoter) so it will be a good side-by-side comparison when I paint my side vents this week (using the adhesion promoter).

Andy

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Don't breathe it in !!!!

Be extremely careful when using Bulldog ( or any brand) adhesion promotor. I used it on my D and this stuff is noxious! I had to hold my breath and then breathe in cleared air. This stuff lingers in the air and is highly toxic. It has a distinct burn your throat smell. Don't breathe it in !
    Works good, but nasty stuff !
    Even has a warning on the label that it is not fr se by the federal public. I used it anyway, but even a respirator won't protect you from the harsh fumes. Believe me!
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

I never ran into any issues like that and I've used a ton of it. Of course, you want to use it in a ventilated area but it never caused any kind of irritation with me.

Alex Abdalla

My VIN:    4534

I used it outside with a good respirator mask. It didn't give me any issues.

Side note, I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black (thinned with acetone to make it sprayable) on on my windshield trim and after a harsh Alabama summer, fall, and half a winter it hasn't faded, flaked, or failed. It looks the same as the day I sprayed it. In fact it has held up better than the SEM on my louvers.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Some of you are really paying up for this stuff. A can of trim black costs $11.52 here...no shipping, kept in stock. I buy this at a small paint supply store in Blountville TN...its as small as it sounds. If a little paint store here has it, I'm sure its available locally pretty much anywhere if you just do a bit of legwork.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

$10.83 here at a local auto paint store. Sherman-Williams has it for $14.50. Lots of online retailers sell SEM trim black for $9.99, but then charge $5-10 for shipping so buying local is cheaper (and easier).

Andy

My VIN:    10904

I just called my local O'Riley autoparts store yesterday to get this. They don't stock it but can get it in for the next day. They just called saying I can come pickup my two cans for $13 and change (each).

-Bob

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast