Before I damage the perfect paint on my fascia, I thought I'd run this by everyone.

I need to straighten and reinforce my front fascia. In this DML article, it is advised to use a heat gun to soften the fascia to bend it straight before adding the aluminum bar. I bought a heat gun for this job, but now I'm concerned the heat will remove the paint as it softens the fascia. Am I being overly concerned?

Here is the process as I would do it (please correct me where I'm wrong):
  1. Remove headlights and grill
  2. Use heat gun on low setting (my gun's low setting is supposedly 750 degrees!) and blow at it from a distance as to not get it too hot.
  3. Test fascia flexibility every 10 seconds or so until somewhat flexible
  4. Wrap cloth around fascia and place plywood on either side of eyebrow area, securing with bar clamps just tight enough to hold them in place, careful not to crush or bend the inner lip of the fascia together with the top.
  5. Allow time to cool
  6. Remove clamps, boards, and cloth, and verify the fascia is straight. If not, repeat.

From that point I would follow the advice on the DML article.

Any changes to that process?

I remember reading in an old DMCTalk.com thread that also had some handy tips on how to keep clean when using the 3M windshield adhesive among others. Would love to see some of those tips again since they are now gone.