FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My Front Suspension is Badly bent, What do you think?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jerzybondov View Post
    Great diagram. Can I ask where you sourced your hardened washers from and what size (diameter) you got?
    An owner in North Carolina took these pictures this afternoon. After nearly 10,000 miles of use his Uding bushings are still exactly where they started (not backed out at all):

I'm pretty sure he sourced his hardware from McMaster Carr. Backing washers: Part #92140A120, hardened steel, 1/2" ID, 2" OD, 1/8" thick. Face washers: Part #92217A549: 18-8 stainless steel, 1/2" ID, 1 3/4" OD, 3/32" thick. Pivot bolts: Part #91257A497: 9" long 1/2-20 Grade 8 (they originally had much more thread exposed -- he cut them off for appearance sake).

Note that if you put face washers on the shock bolt bushings those bolts will need to be longer too.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Watching you type in third person about yourself is amusing, Mr. Robertson.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Watching you type in third person about yourself is amusing, Mr. Robertson.
    Made me laugh too.

"I'm pretty sure he sourced them at McMaster Carr". Priceless.

Useful info though......
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrooks View Post
    An owner in North Carolina took these pictures this afternoon. After nearly 10,000 miles of use his Uding bushings are still exactly where they started (not backed out at all):

I'm pretty sure he sourced his hardware from McMaster Carr. Backing washers: Part #92140A120, hardened steel, 1/2" ID, 2" OD, 1/8" thick. Face washers: Part #92217A549: 18-8 stainless steel, 1/2" ID, 1 3/4" OD, 3/32" thick. Pivot bolts: Part #91257A497: 9" long 1/2-20 Grade 8 (they originally had much more thread exposed -- he cut them off for appearance sake).

Note that if you put face washers on the shock bolt bushings those bolts will need to be longer too.
    Great info. Thank you
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

Banned

Bushings walking out of the brackets is likely caused by the brackets moving independently of the bushings. Why this happens when the bushings are butted against the shock towers is intuitively obvious. What is surprising is it happens even when a thin washer is squeezed in on one side (bolts supplied with the kit are barely long enough to allow one thin washer on one side only). I have noticed that thin washers in this application bend back on themselves. It appears enough deformation of these washers creates resistance similar to being butted against the shock towers directly.

If you look closely at the North Carolinian owner's pictures you will notice that lips of his bushings are visibly compressed by the face washers. Don't know exactly how much more that helps the bushings move in conjunction with the brackets, but it must help to some degree. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Banned

What year had these brackets? I've never seen them before.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chenderson2k View Post
    What year had these brackets? I've never seen them before.
    Brackets are an aftermarket upgrade from Ed Uding in Europe, also sold stateside by Dave Swingle at DMCMW. They are the closest thing to lower wishbones currently available.

This is what an original installation looks like (Luke Sandel's car):

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I figured it would be worth sharing these photos of my own experience with the Stabilizer links.

Notice the Inboard link ends have migrated toward each other.

IMG_0754.jpg IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0757.jpg

I reset all the bushings using this method.

IMG_0763.jpg IMG_0764.jpg

Ready for reinstallation.

IMG_0766.jpg

reinstalled: Note the bushing Squeeze on the inboard (tower) side. The inside washer now limits inward movement. So far I have not seen any migration in this configuration.

IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0773.jpg
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Banned

The bushings really don't fit all that tightly in the brackets. We used a ball joint press on Tyler Butler's car, and could practically turn the screw by hand.

At least 5 sets of bushings walked out without proper backing washers versus no bushings walked out with them (and face washers) is pretty conclusive.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrooks View Post
    The bushings really don't fit all that tightly in the brackets. We used a ball joint press on Tyler Butler's car, and could practically turn the screw by hand.

At least 5 sets of bushings walked out without proper backing washers versus no bushings walked out with them (and face washers) is pretty conclusive.
    You can make that count 6. Mine have done the same. I'll be doing this procedure to mine as well when I take them apart this winter to replace the lower ball joints.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast