FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Removing engine cover paint?

Removing engine cover paint?

Evidently my engine cover (the lower one, not the louvers) should not have any paint at all on the bottom half, and instead should be bare white fiberglass (another 500 series thing). I'd like to start getting the materials needed to remove the paint from the bottom half only, but am not entirely sure what the "proper" method for doing this is. I was originally going to use sandpaper in various grits ranging from very coarse to very fine, but someone else mentioned using a chemical remover. I searched around these forums to see how everyone else did it, and looked through all the threads, but came up empty. I found threads where the engine cover was repainted, but reading it sounded like they did not remove the paint, but rather prepped it for another coat. I'm looking to remove every last trace of paint to leave the bare fiberglass. I don't have any labels on the cover (so no adhesive), but the metal grilles are all in place.

I do not have access to a sand blaster, and I'd like to do this one at home. Is sandpaper the right approach, or is there another "preferred" method? I need something to keep me busy this winter, so this will be first on my list of things to do.

Thanks in advance!

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would recommend pulling the grills out, and taping that area up really well (so no stripper runs down to the other side of the cover) Then I would get a chemical stripper, and brush it on with a paintbrush. I have used aircraft stripper in the past and it works great. You don't want sand marks in the fiberglass cover, and you don't want to risk pitting from sand blasting. The chemical works best evenly brushed on, and allowed to sit in the sun on a warmer day. Only takes about twenty minutes to remove all traces of paint. Rinse very well with water when done. It's really very easy actually.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    3028

What was the point of it not being painted when it left the factory? Do you you have any more information on this?

Also is chemical stripper safe to use on fiberglass?

My VIN:    4534

I think they make some that is safe for fiberglass but I'd read the label very carefully.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The paint is pretty thin. You might try using acetone and a rags to see if will dissolve the paint. This works well if you want to clean the flat black (rattle can) paint off the under body. Never tried it the engine cover though. The other thing you could do is simply paint it with a color matched (Off white) if you just want the replicated look.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The paint is pretty thin. You might try using acetone and a rags to see if will dissolve the paint. This works well if you want to clean the flat black (rattle can) paint off the under body. Never tried it the engine cover though. The other thing you could do is simply paint it with a color matched (Off white) if you just want the replicated look.
    On early VIN cars the factory didn't apparently try very hard to paint the bottom, and they are typically white in the center and black overspray around the edges.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

When you say "bottom half" do you just mean " the underside"?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

In the 1981 Owner's Manual, there is a picture of the engine cover up and you can see that it is not painted underneath. I wouldn't think ALL 500 series cars are like this.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    When you say "bottom half" do you just mean " the underside"?
    Yeah - - sorry, I got a bit distracted.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    In the 1981 Owner's Manual, there is a picture of the engine cover up and you can see that it is not painted underneath. I wouldn't think ALL 500 series cars are like this.
    Agreed, not all 500 series cars have the underside of the engine cover unpainted.
    "your delusions are yours and not mine!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast