Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BTTF car discrepancies

The Nerd is strong with this thread....

1-800-273-8255

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    I'm back from holidays so, given the great shots being included here, have quickly taken some of the items I previously mentioned.

Doesn't the grill emblem here appear to be an airbox sticker?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Doesn't the grill emblem here appear to be an airbox sticker?
    Yeah, that large emblem always bothered me. It's so obvious.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    6125

Yeah the big dumb logo on the front of the fiberglass car appears to have been hand made. I never thought that it could have been from an air box sticker... that's a cool theory that should be investigated. Either way, I don't know how they ended up so far off from the real thing considering they had several other DeLoreans there they could have copied and made an accurate emblem for the grille. Or they could have just bought an actual emblem and stuck it on there.

To answer the question about the Universal Florida car.... This is a screen used car that made only a few brief appearances at the end of Part III. Among the BTTF crowd it is known as the "Oxnard Car". This is the car that rolls through the train crossing intersection moments before the train crash. The filming location was in in Oxnard,CA (Port Hueneme), hence the name. This also the car that performs the wheelie stunt when the red Presto Log blows during the 1885 train sequence.

Here are a few screen grabs of the USF/Oxnard car from part III:

Just to clarify, this is not the car that gets hit by the train, when the film cuts to the next shot with the car getting smashed it is the B car.

After filming the oxnard car was fixed up to be put on display at USF. In this next photo the Oxnard car is on the right, and the A car is on the left. On the hood of the oxnard car you can still see the outline from the hood box and fake frost that was sprayed on the car.

Another post filming shot of the oxnard/USF car:

Wow! Absolutely incredible.
    Thanks for sharing MJdehlin. The pic's are exhilarating to say the least.

I can only guess that the Oxford car is on the restored list.

Ed

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Very cool pics and info. Thanks.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    07000

This thread reminds me a LOT of the various threads we have always going on over at astromech.net - the R2 Builders site. Things like different colored holoprojectors from scene to scene, dents that are there then gone, panels not painted in one shot then they are in the next, and on and on. To us we notice ALL those things, and same here - lots of stuff D or BTTF builders notice, but to the average movie goer, no one really pays attention. It's the film business and continuity always comes last to just getting the shot and how the performers do. Watch any movie and you'll see. On a few films I worked on we did best to keep some continuity, and had a crew member take polaroids at the beginning and end of each shot so the next would look pretty close, but there's a point where the director just needs to get the shot and doesn't care about half full candy jars or door lights - no one in the audience really pays attention as the scene happens so fast and everyone is focused on the action. Plus back then we didn't have DVD players for people to freeze frame, capture and enlarge the frame...so no one really cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post

MARTY!! Get off the F*%#ing hood!!
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    MARTY!! Get off the F*%#ing hood!!
    If standing on a fiberglass hood makes you cringe about 3 seconds earlier in the film when Marty rises up into view from behind the wall and Doc smashes Biff in the face with the door it's an actual DeLorean he's standing on.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    ..... dents that are there then gone, panels not painted in one shot then they are in the next, and on and on. To us we notice ALL those things, and same here - lots of stuff D or BTTF builders notice, but to the average movie goer, no one really pays attention. It's the film business and continuity always comes last
    Sort of related but the thing I always spot in movies are skid marks on the pavement before the car shows up, from practice runs of the stunt. If I recall correctly (finally some BTTF content here) the scene outside the subdivision in 1955 where he screeches to a halt in front of the sign has some of this.

The other one in movies that drives me nuts is chase scenes that are shot out of sequence so that crash damage comes and goes after it's all spliced together.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast