FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 100k DeLoreans

100k DeLoreans

I have been trying to keep track of converted/modified DeLoreans for a while now. Things like BTTF conversions, engine swaps, painted cars, RHD, wrecked, tan interiors, all of Rich W.’s cars, and the like.

Now, I’m interested in knowing how many cars may have over 100k miles on them. I think Ian Y.’s cross-country trip got me interested (22k miles in a few months). So, does anybody on here have a car with more than 100k miles on it and care to reveal that? Or know the VIN of anyone else’s car that does?

Would anyone else be interested in knowing this kind of statistic?

Thanks.

Thomas

My VIN:    16867

High Mileage

I'll be fascinated to see the replies. The very great majority of owners and potential owners think that if the car has a lot of miles on it, it can't be any good. Well, I've got 140,000 on 16867 and you can get in to it, turn the key and drive coast to coast without worry. Recently, I hopped into it in Colorado and drove it to North Carolina (1650 miles) in a shade over two days and never worried. I could have done it faster, but at my age, that just doesn't make sense. The car has been driven in 42 states and 3 Canadian provinces. What a joy to drive.

FWIW, I know of several others who have in excess of 100,000 miles on their cars, but they may or may not be willing to say so.

Dick Ryan
    The Rad Dad
    Vin 16867

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

My odometer is stuck (angle drive broken) on 96,427 but I know it's over 100,000. My engine was replaced in the late 90s so the car has 100K+ but the engine doesn't. My car is overall pretty good just needs the A/C recharged and some cosmetic stuff I am slowly working on. Hope this helps
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

16432 had roughly 90k on the clock when I got her... she now has just over 140k and is running great. (knock on wood)

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

It's a fairly simple car, and while the engine isn't particularly high-performance, it makes up for it in longevity. If it's driven normally and fairly regularly, and well maintained, the DeLorean should be just fine with over 100k.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    04915

I put about 175,000 miles on 16647, my first Delorean. Then I put over 370,000 miles on 4915 my present D.
    4915 has apparently taken up permanent residence at DPI where I'm spending upwards of $42K for a
    total refurbishment. When she comes home I will refer to her as a zero mile car and start over.
    The interior is probably a 9 out of 10 and the stainless is near perfect. Every thing else will be new
    or refurbished.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    3757

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    I put about 175,000 miles on 16647, my first Delorean. Then I put over 370,000 miles on 4915 my present D.
    4915 has apparently taken up permanent residence at DPI where I'm spending upwards of $42K for a
    total refurbishment. When she comes home I will refer to her as a zero mile car and start over.
    The interior is probably a 9 out of 10 and the stainless is near perfect. Every thing else will be new
    or refurbished.
    Wow! That should be great when you get it back. What are you having done to it for 42K +?

Craig

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Wow! That should be great when you get it back. What are you having done to it for 42K +?

Craig
    Well, pretty much everything. The frame has been renewed and fitted with a new spec 2 engine, transaxle, suspension bushings, radiator, fans and all new hoses. Anything that can be reused
    is reworked and powdercoated and the rest will be new, really too much to list here. At first I tried to justify the cost but it turned into making 4915
    a new car and the hell with the cost. So that's what I'm expecting from Josh and DPI ... a New Delorean. Josh has told me it will be one of the most
    thorough refurbishments of a Delorean ever ... Josh, help me out here ...
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    16795

My car has 177K miles.

I recently finished a self installed DPI SPEC 2 upgrade and engine rebuild, so there are only a few hundred miles on the rebuilt engine. I had a small head gasket leak, and figured if I'm going to be taking things that far apart I may as well go for the performance upgrade. Its the original block, crankshaft, and fuel system, but most of the rest of the engine is new or refurbished.

But otherwise the car has been in regular use since I bought it in '94 with something like 28K miles on it. It's had some body and frame work, but no major restoration.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Well, pretty much everything. The frame has been renewed and fitted with a new spec 2 engine, transaxle, suspension bushings, radiator, fans and all new hoses. Anything that can be reused
    is reworked and powdercoated and the rest will be new, really too much to list here. At first I tried to justify the cost but it turned into making 4915
    a new car and the hell with the cost. So that's what I'm expecting from Josh and DPI ... a New Delorean. Josh has told me it will be one of the most
    thorough refurbishments of a Delorean ever ... Josh, help me out here ...
    It most definitely is nothing short of pulling the doors. After that kind of millage the frame needed some serious reworking. All welded and straightened out now! You and Shep(559) can argue who has the prettier car. He was here today and couldn't stop smiling! Soon to be you here as well!

BTW I'm using your exhaust display stand you made. I love that thing!
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 01-13-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I spelled prettier wrong. There you have it...
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast